Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an accurate Spolas
Hey everyone, I'm a new member with some basic questions. I'm putting together a good accurate early classical panoply. I'm looking to purchase an accurate Spolas. I've seen a few, but I'm being cautious about what a spend my money on as to not to waste it on something that is short of junk (As most reproductions often are). If anyone would be so kind as to point me to some good armourers or members that do this kind of work I would appreciate it. Thank you
Good luck. People here are still debating what a spolas actually is.
http://www.ancient-warfare.org/rat/19-gr...mitstart=0
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Well I guess I never realized there was such a debate. I spent most of my time studying the Viking Ara. But I also spent a good deal of time in antiquities in my studies. I knew there was a debate on the so called Linothorax being glued or quilted (I'm not even convinced they used it). But to clear up what I was asking for since I'm a little ignorant to the language and current debates haha. I'm looking for someone who makes accurate Leather "Tube and Yoke" armour. And thank you for your reply Dan.
Try Loricatus in the UK, they offer a very nice composite thorax at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately the site has not been updated with images of their latest tapered design which is made utilizing layers of leather and linen along with brass/bronze scales, the latter of which are added at customer request along with decorations of your choosing.

http://www.loricatus.co.uk/index.php?c=Greek%20Armour

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
This is one of the newest composite armours from Loricatus, belonging to one of the members of RAT:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
That is a beautiful example. Thank you for the information. I will contact them to get more information.
Hello Timothy,
You might want to check out Matt Amt's Greek re-enactment website. Go to www.Larp.com/Legio XX and go to Lists. There is a direct connection with his Greek site. He has updated it relatively recently
Cheers,
Vitruvius......aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager