Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrow curtains on aspidae?
Well on the wikipaedia page for 'shields' there is a picture of several Greek warriors, the picture is attached.

The middle hoplite is carrying an aspis with an arrow curtain. I have not heard or seen these arrow curtains used, but my guess is that they were adopted during or after the Persian Wars, considering how reliant the Persians were on ranged weapons. So how often were these arrow curtains used, and how effective might they have been?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't think they were used much beyond the Persian War but they are pretty effective. The Japanese used the same principal with the horo that was attached to the back and billowed out like a parachute when riding. Try draping some sheets of cloth or leather from a clothesline and shoot arrows at them. The flexible fabric absorbs a lot of the energy, leaving too little energy to punch through.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I was advised that they were not used until after the Persian wars.
However I am still wondering where the source of that information came from.
regards
Richard
Arrow curtains seem to disappear from the art after 470 BC.
I am inclined to think that they were not often used as they restrict mobility.
Try to negotiate a rough steep upward path and you will see the problems.

Kind regards
Perhaps that could be solved by lifting the curtain up over the front of the shield and holding it in place when marching.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Arrow curtains seem to disappear from the art after 470 BC.
I am inclined to think that they were not often used as they restrict mobility.
Try to negotiate a rough steep upward path and you will see the problems.

Kind regards
That would make sense. I can see many potential uses for the arrow curtain, but many ways you could trip on it. You don't want to fall flat n your face in the hoplitodromos.
Could it be detachable? Used as required? Rolled up behind the shield rim when not in use? Any evidence for this?
Cheryl Boeckmann
I have almost no evidence on arrow curtains being used, though it is entirely possible it is mentioned in some history books. I would assume they are nailed into the shield from the inside wooden part, but that might preclude them being detachable. Oh well....

MAIL ARROW CURTAINS!!!!
Couldn't it be tied or hooked to the antilabe?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
I drilled two holes in my shield and used wire to attach it it and so can take it down when I do not feel the need/ Rolled up it fits quite nicely in my antelabe when it is resting. Mine is made of a Afghan camel blanket.
I have seen leather aprons attached in similar fashion using leather thonging.
regards
Richard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shield curtains/aprons Sean Manning 4 1,970 10-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning