Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a book on Roman Army Uniforms or stiching
12 July 2013

Seeking a book on Roman Army Uniforms that shows a how to construct your
own with proper stitching, footgear and any other useful details? I found the titles on Amazon.com and have had them recommended to me by local Soceity of the Creative Anacronism.

I want to join a proper Roman Legion Group in the South Western USA and want to put together a proper Roman uniform.

have not seen this book yet: An Illustrated Encylopedia of the Uniforms of the Roman World by Kevin F. Kiely does this book include any details useable for fabrication of actual Roman Army Uniforms?

also have not seen the Osprey Men At Arms Series yet : Roman Military Uniforms First Century Volume one number
does this book have anything on enclosed boots calceus?

have not seen this book yet: Textiles and Textile Production in Europe from Prehistory to AD 400 by Margarita Gleba and Ulla Mannering
any details on stitching etc?

Thank you Roman Army Forum
Well, the illustrated enceclopedia of Roman army uniforms doesn't seem to bring much 'new'. As far as I've been told (didn't see the book myself) these are all painings based on older paintings, for instance from Ospreys. It can however, thus be a nice overview on reconstruction drawings, although I think it's better to have the original artwork and accompaniing text.
If you search for the title on here, a couple of topics concerining the enceclopedia should show up.

Can't really help on your other questions, though.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Any/all of Graham Sumner's books on clothing.

There was a link to a Belgian(?) lady's book on shoes (in English) which I am trying to find for you but it will take a couple of days. My main computer has died and none of my main research is on the laptop I am using.

It may prompt someone else's memory though.

For leather work anything by Carol Von Driel would be of interest.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hello Geoffrey

Welcome to the Forum.

You might find my book 'Roman Military Dress' 2009 of interest as it includes all the references I could find to Roman military clothing including the contentious issue of colour. Copies are easily available from Amazon.

There are also references in the book to other clothing items including hats and footwear.

You might also find the following useful, it is a collection of papers on clothing. '
Wearing the Cloak: Dressing the Soldier in Roman Times (Ancient Textiles) by Henriette Koefoed and Marie-Louise Nosch (15 Aug 2011)

Nevertheless the Roman era is a huge subject and you might find the Encyclopaedia of Roman uniforms you mention a good starting point for choosing the basic look and time period you are after. However as pointed out you will not get any sources from that book or a bibliography to find out any detailed references on how to make anything.

One book you should get is M.C.Bishop and J.C.N Coulston 'Roman Military Equipment' second edition which again is easily found on Amazon. This has lots of references to archaeological reports which would be what you require if you really want to go into great detail, that depends entirely on the lengths you want to go in your research. Mike Bishop is also a regular poster here too.

It sounds like you will probably be after the 'classic' first century A.D. legionary look but once you have decided on what type of impression to follow there are many people here who will be willing to help out.

Best of luck and enjoy the hobby!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
It's a little older, but I would especially recommend Mr Sumner's "The Roman Army: Wars of Empire" which has a lot of quite large images, many in colour, of reconstructed clothing and gear (and four very nice plates) - used copies seems to be available for under $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Army-Brassey...791&sr=1-1

(Sadly the series expired before a companion volume on the Republic was published.)

Also, "Warriors of Rome" by Simkins is actually pretty well illustrated with this kind of material (and has loads of colour plates):

http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Rome-Illu...rs+of+rome

Regards, John
Actually, you might also take a look at this - not military, but quite possibly very helpful (and a bit of a preview on Amazon) - "Roman Clothing & Fashion":

http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Clothing-Fas...1&sr=1-2#_

Also, for sheer largeness of format, the following is going to give you a great deal of detail from various European groups, "Romans - Clothing from the Roman Era in NW Europe"":

http://www.amazon.com/Romans-Clothing-No...481&sr=1-1
Gentelmen;

Thank you all for your contribution on the topic!
Fantastic resources, many thanks to the author
who also responded. Please keep adding to
the resouces if you can. Uterly facinating
research adventures await for building a
soft kit, hat cape-Roman Uniform and footwear!

;-)