Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A big guy...
Hey Folks,

As I mentioned I've been looking into re-enactment. As I've been reading the posts here and going to the recommended sites, a question has come to mind.

What would you suggest for a big guy? I'm about 6'4" and close to 300 lbs. I carry my extra weight pretty well but some gear I viewed, I've been hesitant to purchase for I'm afraid it would not fit. If anyone knows or has a similar body shape and re-enacts, the help would be appreciated.
"Great Empires are not maintained by timidity" -Tacitus
Well, I'm 6ft 3, though a bit less on the poundage. Batavian auxiliaries were known to be tall, so that's what I reenact. Mail or a Squamata, and with that height , you'll rock the long spathas!

Cheers
Paul
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I'm 6.6" 300+lbs and do Migration period germanic.

Cap-a-pie do large chain that fits me.

Rich

Herigeas Hundas - Migration Period Re-enactment
http://hampshirereenactment.com/
I'm 6'2 and although I'm skinnier, I just do Roman Legionary.
Thank you for the input guys. So it seems from the responses that there are certainly many options for bigger folks. I'll have to look into some different vendors then and see what is available.

I would even look into perhaps creating a few pieces on my own. I've found a few patterns that seem pretty historically accurate, though, I'm not the most handy when it comes to tailoring and such.
Buyer Beware! If you are going to have someone make something custom for your size... Beware! Seriously.
Your search for armor that will fit you "Off the shelf" is next to zero. And the more historically accurate you need it to be... the smaller that "Off the shelf" number becomes.
Custom work will cost you quite a bit. If you have a manufacturer contact you directly because they saw your post here and makes you an offer that you have not pursued them for... Beware! If the offer sounds too good to be true... it is!

You are better off finding an armorer... paying through the nose... and waiting a year or more for it.
Beware Beware Beware.
Hi John, welcom to the forum.

You could also look into a civilian impression! OK, yes, well, this is Roman ARMY talk, but we do have several sections on both Allies & Enemies and Civilian. I do a blacksmith impression these days (at 55 I consider myself to old to do a soldier, so have chosen a profession a veteran could and would have preformed, having learned the craft in the army). But perhaps also a legate, a consul, perhaps even a whopping great gladiator named Bestius (the beest), the range is pretty wide :-) By the way, gladiators with the exception of the retiarius were reputed for being beefy, as that protected the vital organs beter. Enjoy!!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Also John... when purchasing or making armor... you have to consider the size of the armor "OVER" any tunic or Subarmalis. You would be better off to consider what your impression is going to be and then work your way from your Tunic out. Tunic, Subarmalis, Armor.

Depending on your climate... that can make a difference too in the thickness of your Tunic, etc. Your armor has to fit over whatever you are wearing underneath. If you have a 48" chest... your armor has to be bigger then that. If you do not have your tunic and subarmalis... it is going to be difficult to get your proper size. To small is ALWAYS TOO SMALL. To big... and you can layer up a bit underneath. (Which is good for winter or colder months.

These are thoughts you need to plan through. Or it will cost you dearly. Take it from those who have been through the process you are embarking on. Don't be too anxious to purchase your equipment! Research the impression you desire to become. It would be good for you to check out established legion groups near you that can help you walk through this process. It is much better to learn from other people's mistakes. It will not cost you as much.

Patrick
Thank you Patrick for the insight and tips. I kind of figured I'd have a bit of trouble buying "off the shelf". As much as I want to be historically accurate to the letter, certain things may have to slide here or there. The armor is what has always held me back for I just had a feeling I would have issues with it.

Unfortunately, there are not many places in CT that give me many options. We mostly get Renn Faires out this way. I have a wonderful medieval Franciscan Monk habit (very accurate) and a Teutonic Knight outfit (somewhat accurate) but that is only because those re-enactments are popular out this way. The crusades is another area of history I find fascinating.

As for Roman re-enactment, I think the nearest Legion is in NY when I was looking. But perhaps by joining here I can build up some contacts.! Smile

Robert, thank you for the welcome. And that isn't too bad of an idea. As much as I'd love to be a Legionary, an enemy or civilian might be a better option. When I began looking into things, it seems Vandal or Saxon outfits can be a little bit more friendly to the bigger folks.
In the meantime, an aristocratic purple stripe toga could have been designed for your stature. I'd also agree with the above in not rushing into purchases- research them, and bit by bit buy the best quality you can. Its cheaper in the long run!
[Image: Roman_-_Emperor_Wearing_a_Toga_-_Walters_23226.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Well, someone suggested a Batavian auxilary or a Germanic warrior. That would be more in keeping with the Roman period.
A Germanic warrior could be great, as that allows you sword (could be one of those single edged cleavers, I have made two of those and I can assure you they are very imposing weapons), BIG knife, nasty 7 foot spear and a fair sized shield with iron boss. You wear laced boots, trousers and a tunic belted with a decorated belthook, a silver or golden torc around the neck, perhaps a boar's tooth pendant. A cape fastenend with a large Celtic brooch/diskfibula completes the impression. No armour, but a fierce impression all the same, certainly for a large fellow.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Well, someone suggested a Batavian auxilary or a Germanic warrior. That would be more in keeping with the Roman period.
A Germanic warrior could be great, as that allows you sword (could be one of those single edged cleavers, I have made two of those and I can assure you they are very imposing weapons), BIG knife, nasty 7 foot spear and a fair sized shield with iron boss. You wear laced boots, trousers and a tunic belted with a decorated belthook, a silver or golden torc around the neck, perhaps a boar's tooth pendant. A cape fastenend with a large Celtic brooch/diskfibula completes the impression. No armour, but a fierce impression all the same, certainly for a large fellow.

I have always enjoyed the "look" of the Germanic warriors. So that is certainly an option. I've been looking at a few places online, avoiding all the sites that are said to be not very accurate. It is very expensive, so as others have suggested, piecemeal is the way to go once I put some good thought into a choice.
John, there is a whole thread on RAT about Germanic Impressions. You might pick up some ideas from there. Keep an eye out on the auction websites for wool blankets and fabric. It's out there, and you'll need some of both.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hello John,

You may want to consider taking to the arena. Gladiators have been historically attested to being tall, large, and not the overtly muscular chaps that you see in today's pop culture. The best part about being a gladiator, is that for most impressions, you do not have to worry about finding something to fit your torso. Gladiator reenactment is fun, exciting, and a bit rough. Additionally, it CAN be cheaper the portraying a soldier. There's also a LITTLE room for creativity.

Regards,
Tyler
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Thank you for the tips on Germanic fabrics and re-enactment threads.

A gladiator was also something I was pondering about. A retiarius or murmillo would be pretty awesome. Yes, the chest and midsection would be a problem, so perhaps gladiator, Germanic, or civilian impression.

Though if I save my pennies, perhaps custom armor is in the future. Big Grin