Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optio ring
Salvete,<br>
<br>
I'm trying to refine my Optio kit. I've just completed the wax tablet satchel and have a rather spiffy crest on the way (hopefully). the one missing, finishing touch is a ring, which I believe was a type of sygnet ring.<br>
<br>
Would this have been a fairly normal intaglio with an etched stone, or was it something more specific. I have been unable to find a good source for this info.<br>
<br>
Can anyone point me in the right direction?<br>
<br>
Valete<br>
<br>
mummius <p></p><i></i>
Can anyone even come up with some solid evidence that a ring was a regular part of the optio's rank insignia? Cuz I ain't seen it yet...<br>
<br>
The optio's staff is nicely documented, about 5 feet tall with a knob or ball on top.<br>
<br>
The use of the side plumes on the helmet does not seem to be specific to the optio simply because there are clear depictions of them being worn by men who did not reach that rank. One could point out that a rather high percentage of surviving helmets seem to have tubes for the side plumes, though that could be explained away by making up a theory that an optio traditionally sacrificed his helmet to the river gods upon being promoted to centurion (and needing a new helmet at that point).<br>
<br>
I know there are groups that like to use a striped crest for the optio as well, and I'd love to see some good evidence for the use of striped crests by the Romans. (*I* think they look cool, too, but...)<br>
<br>
Just trying to question as many answers as possible, as usual!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hi Matt,<br>
<br>
So it seems it’s not just me being dim, there really is a lack of info on this item. However, lack of evidence does not mean lack of existence. To me, this as an item of my kit that makes a certain amount of sense; an intaglio type ring would be useful to an Optio (or indeed higher ranks) for authenticating official communications. It also says that this is a man that has (or is on the road to having a certain amount of status. We know rings denoted status in Roman culture eg Citizens ring (anyone got good any info on this as well?).<br>
<br>
Several groups show Optio’s wearing a ring, but I don’t necessarily want to blindly follow their example. I prefer to find any source information and examine alternative interpretations.<br>
<br>
If there’s no evidence available for an Optio’s ring then I’m loathed to just stab in the dark, but I’d still like to incorporate it. DILEMA!!<br>
<br>
Thanks all the same.<br>
<br>
mummius<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Martin the Guard Optio carries a ring which is illustrated in Brassey's Roman Army. Its based on the equipment of Gaius Valerius Crispus from Wiesbaden although the ring is from one found at Bonn. Its in silver and has the boar in the centre with the name around the outside. The research for this will be long forgotten so can anyone find a picture of the original? <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus