Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphic Novel of the Fall of Rome
And I have BACKED! Absolutely cannot wait for it good sir!
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Thanks so much!!! If you have like minded compatriots in your contubernium, cohort, maniple or legion, please feel free to let them know!
Quote:I was wondering when someone would mention "The Last Legion..." at least, I think that's what you were referring to? If not, it was a 2007 film about Romulus that was about kind of the same scenario you gave.

Indeed,this is what I had in mind :-)
Hi Travis
Can I ask what medium you work in please? I wondered if you are using a tablet or good old paper with Copic pens etc
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Well, to be completely honest, I work entirely in black-and-white, i.e., words on a page, as I handle the writing. My partner, Giancarlo Caracuzzo, is the artist, and he uses a combination of hand-drawing and inking, watercolor and digital coloring.
If you want to see more of his work, you can check him out at http://www.giancarlocaracuzzo.com/. There's art from another Roman project for a French publisher, "La Dernier Reine" (The Last Queen) about Cleopatra on that sight that you can check out, too.
Actually, I just wanted to add this: it's a link to a feature on Amiculus (full disclosure: I wrote it :whistleSmile on the comics site Bleeding Cool. It covers some of my thoughts on Romulus Augustulus as history has portrayed him, versus some of my goals in my book. "The Last Legion" aside, does anyone else have any thoughts on what might have happened to "The Last Emperor of the West?"
Quote: "The Last Legion" aside, does anyone else have any thoughts on what might have happened to "The Last Emperor of the West?"

To not speculate much...well it is quite likely he lived peacefully and as a private person in relative wealth under Odoacer and then under Theodoric the Great.The only certain(probably)thing is that he was not still alive at the time of Justinian's invasion of italy,or at least not living on Italian soil anymore.
Yes, that is entirely likely...still, given the paucity of sources, and the fact that he falls "off the grid," as it were, after his exile, there's room for interpretation. Going to Britain and becoming Uther Pendragon seems about as likely as anything else under those circumstances. Marvel Comics transformed him into a green-skinned villain named Tyrannus who fought the Hulk in the 1960s, although I'm still waiting for the provenance on that. Wink

While I'm on, I just wanted to attach a link to a feature on my book on the website Bleeding Cool. (Full disclosure: I wrote it. :whistle: )I regret to say it contributes little from a history standpoint to the topic, except to highlight how history written by "the winners" can occasionally miss some things.
I would donate but I don't have any way too. Great previews though, I hope it will be available where I live.
Just wanted to add one more feature link for Amiculus:
http://www.blastr.com/2013-7-26/14-aweso...-right-now
Swear I'm not "bumping" or "spamming" here, but I just wanted to mention that the Kickstarter campaign for Amiculus: A Secret History is in its final seven days. Thanks to everyone here who has commented or given support!

Just wanted to add that this is a great site for all the esoterica on Roman and ancient world warfare I could ever want, and a wonderfully supportive community!
Hello,

Some of you may remember me from about a year ago on this site. I had introduced the Kickstarter campaign for Volume I of my graphic novel series "Amiculus; A Secret History," imagining the fall of Rome from a more conspiratorial, alt-history viewpoint Well, that campaign, rather embarassingly, did not work out as I'd hoped. I haven't really been around since then, unfortunately, as I've been working from that moment to this to keep the project going, crowdfunding or no.

But I'm back, with a trim new campaign that is actually doing quite well right now, and I'd love to share it with you. Here's the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508...y-volume-i

Here's the idea:

Amiculus is a quasi-historical epic, telling a “lost” history of the fall of Rome through the eyes of its last emperor, a 12-year-old boy named Romulus. Through him we see Rome at the moment of its collapse, besieged by a vast barbarian army. Yet within Rome a secret war rages, revealing an intricate mosaic of conspiracy within conspiracy, bloodshed and betrayal, tragedy and loss. At its center is Amiculus, a mysterious cloaked figure manipulating generals, kings, and western civilization. As the mightiest empire on earth crumbles, we are left to wonder: did Rome merely fall, or was it pushed?

Now, I value historical accuracy greatly, and have done my best to make things as period accurate as possible (within the bounds of speculative historical fiction, of course). But we all make mistakes, and I'd appreciate your critical eyes on this for me. So what I ask is: check it out, watch the video pick it apart, tell me what you like, what you hate, and share it with others who will do the same. (First mistake: I get the declension wrong of "dominus" in my opening statement - oops).

I look forward to the conversation!

Travis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would start to investigate Late Roman clothing and attire a bit. What we see there is nothing like it, I think.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I think you are VERY ambitious - $6.000 within 10 days!
Almost forgot - I could not get the movie to play. Confusedad:

Personally I agree with Christian - I'd research the period a bit more besides the architecture.
Also, I must confess I'm a bit dumbfounded by the plot - a heinous demon bringing down the western Empire by supernatural forces and plots... but why Rome? And not Constantinople?

Oh, I added the new thread to the old one, rather than have two about the same subject.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback so quickly!

The look for the uniforms does take some liberties, I'm sure, but my research included numerous recreation images from the late 4th through the mid 6th century for inspiration. I am working with an artist from Rome who is creating the look of the book from my research images. The story goes back and forth between A.D. 476 and the Byzantine reconquest in the 530s, hence the focus on Rome and Italy.

Additionally...and I know you are probably going to hate this, but...I wanted to make sure general audiences could tell the difference between the Romans and "barbarians," who were also mostly "Romans" at the time as well. So there are a few clacissizing elements in the uniforms. However, I think it serves the story.

Again, thanks for the quick response!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graphic Novel: East Of Byzantium Narukami 4 1,243 01-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Graphic Design Forum... Anonymous 0 1,129 02-14-2003, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Anonymous