Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator belts Decoration
From what I have gathered no gladiator belt has ever been found so the topic is a lot of personal bias.

From what I have seen in surviving gladiator statues, little tokens to be taken home, some of them have decorated belts. It is impossible to tell if this decoration is tooled, sewn, or plates added to them. An even worse example is modern reconstructions in the media and for sale. They to have many arrays of decoration and color.

Has anyone else seen evidence of gladiator belts being decorated?

To the others that recreate gladiator combat, what is your opinions on decorated gladiator belts
[attachment=7499]GR_120_1984.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Early gladiator belts appear to be of the standard one-piece Samnite/Lucanian bronze construction, and were probably captured enemy equipment. These belts are fairly common grave finds and are sometimes decorated, sometimes plain. Later gladiatorial belts got wider and are sometimes depicted as decorated, but whether applied, embossed or painted is unclear. Late Empire gladiators from the East often wore elaborate belts made up of multiple straps with ring buckles. I know of no extant specimens, though, only artistic depictions.
Pecunia non olet