Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges
Ave Y'all,
I know Dr. Travis Clark's website seemed to imply that the designs on the tongue pteruges might have been metal, but again, it might have been leather. I am in the process of making my subarmalis and I want it accurate. What do You all think I should do? If the majority is in favor of metal designs, then Antonia and I can cast them out of metal. If leather, then I can mold the leather. If metal, bronze, or Brass. (POT Metal is OUT! Period.! (Please note I am not criticizing any one else's work.) Since I will be spending big bucks on a work of art (Metal Musculata) I want to make sure that all of it matches the quality of the Musculata.
Any help, suggestions, or ideas will be seriously considered.
Salve, and Thank You,
Vitruvius ....
Larry A. Mager
If you use metal ornaments, it would make sense to use the same metal as the armor. You should have ample metal scrap from the cutting, so that would be an obvious choice for more than one reason.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ave, Dave,
Very good point. I'll have Matt save the scraps once I get my money to himand he gets it cut out. A VERY good thought, indeed Smile

Anyone else?

Thanks Frater David,
Salve,
Vitruvius
Larry A. Mager
At least you'll be assured of a good color match, eh? :razz:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ave David,
Hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right!!!!!!LOL
Salve,
Vitruvius.....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Ave David,
Hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right!!!!!!LOL
Salve,
Vitruvius.....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Hi Larry

Why do you want do das anyway lol

martin
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Oh and just a thought you want to keep the metal down to a minimum in case you fall overboard lol
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Ave, Y'all,
Martin, my Friend......I couldn't remember the name for those "Do-Das" and so when that happens, I default to Leroy Jethro Gibb's term for things he can't rember... (Thank You N.C.I.S.).Smile Lol. I agree with your second post......Except I don't plan to make the tongue pteruges decoration out of embossed leather. I'm practicing swimming with all my clothes on so I can keep afloat long enough to get the armour off. Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them and Jaqui thought they were amusing.
Salve,
Vitruvius
Larry A. Mager
Hi Martin!!
I think that the "Do-Da Thingamegummies" look sharp..LOL
My Best, Vitruvius.....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I am making my Do Dad Whatamacallit's out of brass. TO match my Cuirass and Helmet. What thickness and color of leather ar you making your subarmalis out of?

ANd you do know that all subarmalis' were made of metal right? LOL... Kidding.
Ave Patrick,
My Do-Da Thingamagummys (Tongue pteruge decorations.....see entry above) out of the brass scrap that Matt Luke will use when he makes my Musculata, The leather that I use for my tongue pteruges will be approx, 1/8" to 3/16" thick so I can emboss the edges and Then put those Do-Da Thingamagummys on them.
As to the colour, I am thinking of Dark Sea Blue for the front row and dark with sea green for the back row. The cloth pteruges will be alternating colors mentioned above. with the fringes and edging of blue. If you haven't guessed by now, I'm working on a Classis Impression.
Hope my answers give you an idea of what I'm up to.
Salve, my Friend,
Larry
Larry A. Mager
I also like the idea of metal pendant pyteruges for the first layer beneath the cuirass. I have always wondered about the hinges implied by the scuptures however. I did see an article in a journal that was on embossed pendant (tongue) pyteruges years ago with an embossed silverd exmple. Of course I have no idea which journal it was, If you plan to swim in fabric armour subarmalis it will suck up lots of water increasing the weight dramatically -but I guess you already thought of that.

I look forward to seeing your end product no matter which medium you use,

regards
Richard,
Here is a picture of the Emperor Antoninus Pius and he has what appear to be metal applied to leathers below the edge of his cuirass, however I think that this leather is fitted to the cuirass and not part of his pteruges that are in fact the under garment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Ave, Brian and Richard,
First off, thank you for the photo Brian. I agree that the long pteruges are part of the subarmalis. I agree that the tongue style could be attached to the cuirass, how ever, I have seen on Dr. Clark's website photos where one can see that the tongues are in the form of a beltsimilar to the way Tony Congiano has done. The appliques,might have been put on by small prongs melded into the back of the metal appliqueswhich would then be pushed through the leather tongue and folded over behind it. I think , as Dan H. might say,Ignore the statues that show the appliquess bending with the rest of the leather. I made a leather tongue with an embossed design......doing that does not allow the tongue to fold like seen on the statues....ergo, the appliques should be metal. As for the hinges, I think that the lines that look like hinges may belacing to hold the secondary tongues to the front, Call it a hunch, but based on illustrations, and , yes, statues, the secondary tongues may well be embossed leather, with, mayhaps metal or even encausestic painted details.. My subarmalis will be thin, quilted cloth with detachable pteruges@ sleeves and waist.There will be an cover made from thin leather. Hope that "heps" y'all out. Salve, My Fraters,
Vitruvius......aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,055 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Making one piece Tongue Pteruges AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 2 2,120 11-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 21 7,764 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Last Post: C. Apollonius Priscus