Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
marching commands
At the Roman Days festival on Sat., I caught Matt's explanation of where his marching commands came from, which, if I remember correctly, was the Strategikon.<br>
<br>
(Incidently, congrats to Legio XX, with an assist on the part of Legio XXIV, for a very successful event!)<br>
<br>
When I checked into the Strategikon, I found that it was not only not the easiest source to find a good edition of, it was also in Greek, so I thought... hmm.... the text is in Greek, but the commands are in Latin...<br>
<br>
But, then, I've read that Latin remained the language of the army until sometime around (correct me if I'm wrong) the mid-600s. [An aside: this gives more credibility to Ross Cowan's East Roman (c. 280-640) vs. Byzantine (post 640) distinction and periodization.] In fact, I think I remember reading this in Norwich last year. But anyway, I wanted to make sure that I got this straight: Latin marching commands, out of a Late Roman, (otherwise) Greek language source; is that correct?<br>
<br>
In addition, Matt, you mention that you know of similar Greek-language commands from another source. Can you tell me any more about them?<br>
<br>
I'm envisioning doing something like the "Kid's Cohort" thing that you were doing with the 3rd graders in my school, except that I'd like to do some Greek commands (with round cardboard shields) in the Fall and Latin ones (with rectangular ones) in the Spring. I talked with one of our 3rd grade teachers, and she's already highly enthusiastic.<br>
<br>
(Another aside: she's also interested in perhaps taking a field trip to an event like Roman Days sometime next year. Do you have any things like it during the school year?)<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Hi AG, glad to meet you at RD though and sorry we didn't speak much. Some of us in the Legio XX do school demos during the year, but not as Legio XX, at least not to date.<br>
For next Roman Days I got the idea of getting into the curriculum of at least Fairfax County schools since in all my school demos, the teachers are emphatic about rewriting their curricilum around my visit and lecture. Not sure how this would work, but we're considering it. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
You're right, Aaron,<br>
The Strategikon is written in Greek, but the commands are written in Latin (Greek alphabet). They are surely fossils coming from the Good Old Empire and slightly modified to cope with more recent fashions like Christian religion and new units and tactics...<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Latin transliterated into the Greek alphabet... that's interesting. I'm so much more used to seeing it the other way around. What about those Greek commands you mentioned, Matt? I'm still thinking about doing a "Kid's Phalanx" in the Fall with our 3rd graders. (They do Greece for about half the year and Rome for the second; though, since they do Latin all year, their teacher and I could do the "Kid's Cohort" thing with them any time... and even with the 4th and 5th graders who are all still taking Latin.)<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Ave, Aaron!<br>
<br>
Ditto what Richard said, never enough time to talk to folks at these things!<br>
<br>
The Greek drill is in Arrian. It has a very similar "pep talk" to Maurice's at the beginning, with things like, "Don't worry", "Stay in ranks", "Obey the orders", etc. Even uses klinon where Maurice has clina, and has the men turning towards their spear or shield. If Maurice isn't cribbed directly from Arrian, then there is clearly some continuity at least in "drill philosophy".<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Well, hey, I have lots of friends in the DC/ Baltimore area, so I'll be in town from time to time. Perhaps also sometime I'll drop in to one of your Legio XX meetings and see what they're like. When do they meet?<br>
<br>
Is the Arrian text you're talking about <em>The Anabasis of Alexander</em>? I see that it's available on Amazon in a Loeb edition, which would enable me to get into the original to pull out the Greek marching commands, despite my sketchy Greek. Or even better, perhaps someone knows of a place where the Greek commands are already pulled out and listed for us (much like the Latin ones are on you website)?<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Legio XX has a fabrica every first Saturday of the month, though July 3 is questionable due to the holiday. Matt Amt sends out the Adlocutio every month as well as reminders; ask to be on his mailing list. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?