Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Handbook
It's junior, that's a brain fart, and with felices meaning "happy ones", I put "revellers" in because it means happy people. Gallicia is a typ0, I have Gallicia in my auto-correct feature so it must have done it to Gallia.

I drew on AMH Jones original suggestion of the units being drawn from other provinces and made into one unit, and used the name Luke suggested. I didn't know who put up that page of the ND, I had been using it for shield patterns for years.

EDIT: Fixed this in my Handbook, I won't release an updated one for some time though.
Actually that update might come sooner than you think. Just caught a buttload of typos and what not. So I threw in a few other things I was planning to add, and will have the updated one on Ludus Militis. And (eventually, after I get some gear and recruits) the Legio VI site as well.
Well, when you get it all tweaked for now, please let us know so we can get the edited, fixed, rewritten, edited, final, and edited copy. :-D
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Up on Ludus Militis:
http://www.ludusmilitis.org/index.php?to...765#msg765

Version 1.1
So yeah, Luke Ueda-Sarson is wrong. It's not Felices Iuniores Gallia Placidi Valentiniaci. What happened was that a new Auxilia Palatina pair was raised, edited into the Magister Peditum command under "Placidi Valentiniaci Felices" (the grammar is corrupted from medieval copyists probably) and then being sent to Gaul and Illyria, where they are listed as the Valentinianenses Iuniores and the Valentinianenses Felices, respectively. The correct names of both units should be "Placidi Valentiniani Felices Iuniores et Placidi Valentiniani Felices Seniores."
My newest version of the Late Roman Handbook: Version 1.3
[attachment=7979]LateRomanHandbookv1.3.pdf[/attachment]

Attached Files
.pdf   LateRomanHandbookv1.3.pdf (Size: 659.19 KB / Downloads: 4)
Quote:This is the "Finalized" Version of the Handbook - it will never truly be finished, and will continue to receive updates, and I will have it posted on LudusMilitis.org.

If you have any continued reccomendations for improvement, just let me know.

Added some Archery Information, a guide on measurements (Metric to Imperial) and currency rates (US to Euro and US to Pound). Added some more supplier links and made Jewelry a section, including Cloissonne (I couldnt find any links to that), normal jewelry, and fibulae/brooches.

No quivers? Wink
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
Never thought about that. Nobody sells them.
Quote:Never thought about that. Nobody sells them.

Maybe some patterns? I have seen some nice late quivers on re-enactors (such as this gorytus presumably based on the Orlat plaque, etc: ), perhaps they would like to offer their patterns? Atarn provide a nice closed quiver pattern (they say it is based on a Turkoman original).
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
My next update I'm skipping from 1.3 to 1.5 and gonna have a really big update, so I'll definitely put quivers in. Thanks!
Just a thought here. If you're just updating a section, how about breaking the handbook apart into "chapters" and updating one of them at a time. Those who download and download updates then would not have to go through each section to see if something is changed. You will soon have a number of various 1.x versions out there, and people will easily be confused, at least those who are trying to stay current.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Not a bad Idea. The thing is organized into quintessential chapters already. I started putting "1.3" at the top to indicate what version it is.