Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chin Straps for a Corinthian Helmet
I recently purchased a Corinthian from KOA and I figured it was going to be a little big on me. There is a slight bit of shake when I'm moving as I would in combat, it can be fixed a bit by putting a beanie hat over the arming cap, but I feel like chin straps would be ideal.

Anyone have any experience putting chin straps on a Corinthian or who can think of a way to do so without it sticking out to much?
You would be better served to either line the interior of the helm, leather and lambs wool, among other materials are typically used, or make adjustments to your arming cap, head wraps are seen in the vase paintings. Chin straps were not used on Corinthian helmets in period.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
This is the best photo I could find of padding inside a Corinthian helmet (I don't think anyone will mind the pretty girl), as you can see, the padding is quite thick which makes for a snug fit, kinda like football helmets. Once properly fit, there should be no wobble, or need for a chin strap. :-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Attached are two shots of the same helmet ("Denda" - Munich Museum). It clearly shows a small hole that was purposely drilled in the same position on both sides of the helmet. I can think of no other reason for this, except to accommodate a leather thong to keep the helmet from coming off, either while being worn back on the head, as a chin strap or both. There are other very similar examples of this modification performed on late Corinthian helmets of almost identical fabrication (British Museum example).
[attachment=8101]bronze_helmet_3-1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8100]securedownload-7_2013-10-04.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment=8102]Corinthian_helmet_Denda_Staatliche_Antikensammlungen_4330_n2.jpg[/attachment]

Bill
Although not a Corinthian, the Pilos depicted on the vase here looks to be a chin strap so the idea of a hoplite helmet with a chin strap is not so unbelievable.

Joe Balmos
Nice spots guys! Hooda thunk it! Wink
I can clearly understand a pylos having chinstraps, as it's basically a pot sitting on your head.
The Corinthian, that is interesting though.
My new one has a little wobble too, but this may disappear with a correct liner/hat.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here are two more with possible chin strap holders. Of course the vast majority of this type of helmet that are available to the public do not have anything that would suggest that there was a chin strap used and I've never seen a Corinthian with a chin strap on pottery or on a statue. Also, keep in mind that antiquities dealers in the late 19th century at times modified their objects to better suit their potential customers so the holes may or may not be "ancient." There is a Corinthian at the Penn Museum that I'm told by a curator was made more marketable not too long ago by the addition of an authentic ancient nasal to replace the one lost in antiquity. I find this question interesting as the addition of a simple chin strap could have made a good helmet better and it seem like they would have realized that.

Joe Balmos
Hello guys Smile

The Illyrian or Greco- Illyrian type Helmet are heaving the same holes for the strap.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions on Deepeeka Italo-Corinthian helmet Martok 2 1,906 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Athena Areias
  One Piece Corinthian Helmet by Matt Lukes Creon01 6 4,202 04-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Creon01
  Improving a corinthian helmet. Giannis K. Hoplite 6 4,039 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS