Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let\'s talk about the FURCA again
could i hazzard a guess.......... perhaps the furca were originally forked brances, over time the name would have been used even if the design changed, i.e focsle...as in forecastle on a ship,or legion in the first century compared to a legion in the fifth century the name remains in use even when the design isn't what it was originally, just a thought for you to ponder.

martin
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
And there had not been "castles" on the foredecks for quite a few centuries before Admiral Nelson walked on the deck. Things do keep their names, even when not correct any more. In the US, the inside box on cars is called the "glove compartment" even though driving gloves went out of fashion a century ago. Just an example.

I hope to load up my forked stick in a while when it cools off some (we've had 5 consecutive days above 100F, and 15 more above 95F) and walk around some with it. One thing I do know, if you don't wear segmentata, you need something for a pad where the stick hits your shoulder. What do others use?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
David wrote :if you don't wear segmentata, you need something for a pad where the stick hits your shoulder. What do others use?
Make the pole long enough to suspent it on your shield then This takes the most of the weight.( see my picture)
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Will that work with a Republic or Augustan round top scutum?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.