Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
constructing a musculata
Robert.
I have not made a cuirass with a flared bottom end and I would say avoid this for as you say it can present a problem when it comes to being tidy at the pteruges. Here is the only other picture I have of Doug' wearing his and as you can see it is a tidy fit all round.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Here is a picture of the pteruges that Doug' used both with his Centurian kit and officer cuirass these were made with just a thin leather jacket under his armour with the pteruges fitted to the shoulders and bottom edge of the jacket. This made a tidy fit with the cuirass when he wanted to change roll from centurian to commander for the small pieces fitted to the bottom of the cuirass went on top of these very neat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Too bad there isn't a picture of Doug Arnold's Subarmalis.
As far as I am concerned, for re-enacting, I would keep the details to a minimum
on the musculata and save the glitz for fancy armor,....kind of what I am doing.
Robert, are you going to be doing any LARPing? If so, buy Your self a cheapie leather musculata and decorate it how ever you want.
Salve,
Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I'm not so sure about the idea of a subarmalis being a thicker padded garment under armour for the one I did for the cuirass and indeed Hamata was only a thin leather jacket with its pteruges glued and stitched to the shoulders and waist.
This I think is all this garment would have been in earlier times when Roman soldiers had armour it may have been needed in later times when armour was no longer worn in the 5th century.
Brian Stobbs
No Larry, I will only be using it for posing. First of all, there are no units very close to me and secondly we are in the process of relocating. Perhaps I'll locate others interested in putting a group together, but I'm really not too interested in staging mock combat. My reasoning for even concerning myself with a high degree of authenticity, is that if someone sees my kit, I can say that this is what a Roman soldier would like like during a certain time period.
I have participated in soldiering during other more modern time periods and costuming was what ever you could come up with, something that I never liked, but it was for fun and not a passion. Also, I want to make my own kit to the greatest degree possible. The love of the craftsmanship means as much to me as anything. This is a passion to me! My helmet and sword are now priceless to me and a part of me. I can greatly appreciate the folks who craft the quality kits by hand and understand the high prices they bring. You have to be willing to sacrifice a part of yourself, physically and time wise, as well as spending the money on materials and equipment necessary for the manufacturing process and be a real artist to boot.
I also want to give credit to my fellow legionnaires who have not only given me advise and encouragement, but have complimented my work. That makes it worthwhile and gives me a feeling of brotherhood.
manius acilius italicus
Bob Cherry
Manius Acilius Italicus
Ave, Bob,
It's really GREAT to hear from a person who has a passion for such a thing. Quite honestly, if I had a workshop to do it in, I would definitely go your route. Sadly I don't. I hope that your musculata comes out great!!!!! Please post those pictures. I don't recall if you said you are going to raise your own helment or not, If you are, I say "Go for it Frater!!". BTW, I wish you luck in moving.....I've done it a # of times myself. It's a royal pain in the neck, so I can't say as I envy you. Jaqui and I decided that our next move (when we find a house we like), will be our last.At the age of 60, I have no desire to move anymore. I hope that you are not having to move too far, although,as we have found, sometimes the longer move is easier than the short move. If there's ANY thing that Jaqui and I can do to help, let us know....even if it is only moral support.
Your Frater in Arms,
Vitruvius....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Ave Larry and thanks, I need as much moral support as I can get. I no longer have a workshop, as I sold it preparing for the move, so my hearth and pit are under the sun and stars. I only work on these projects when I get the calling, which comes and goes. Quality production is the name of the game for me, so I don't work on them when I'm not in the mood.
I'm now 67, so this move was really not planned, but more of necessity and we are looking to move about 350 miles. We are now in west central Florida and looking at the western most Florida panhandle. My daughter lives in Minnesota and we don't like the cold, so that's out. Sue is from New Orleans and while we don't want to move there, we would like to be close enough to enjoy the city at times.
I already have the helmet, plus the crest (which is a little unusual). The crest needs horse hair and the helmet needs to have the brass trim completed and installed, plus I am going to pour the crest harp after I make a mold and then rivet everything together permanently. I posted pics of it on an earlier post. I think you can find it in here and see what it looks like. I also have made a sword which came out great and is also pictured on an earlier post.
Where are you and Jaqui located? If you are in the southern or eastern states, maybe we can meet one of there days at a gathering of the troops. I would enjoy going to one of the major reenactments in the future.
Thanks for your fellowship. I'm sure we would have given the enemy hell fighting side by side in the day.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Bob Cherry
Manius Acilius Italicus
Ave Bob, and it might be possible to get together one of these days as Jaqui and I want to move down to the western foothills of the Appalachians in South-Southeast Central Ohio.....2 counties up from the Ohio River. We would like to go off the Grid if possible, Wind and water power, growing our own vegetables, canning.....all the socalled Hippie things. And yes, Side by side, we could have kicked some Celto-Germanic Backsides. I'll P.M. You with the rest of the details this evening. Have to take Jaqui for her pre-OP testing. Her hip replacement is on the 23rd of this month.
Till later, Salve
Vitruvius.....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Our best to Jaqui and her upcoming surgery. Sue is scheduled for her surgery on the 11th. I guess this is what we have lived so long for, pills and surgeries.
The move you are planning sounds inviting although I know nothing of the area you mentioned. I would also like to "get off the grid" and to some degree plan on it also.
Looking forward to hearing from you and your plans for the future.
When you "go native", you need to build a hearth, get a small anvil and start pounding out that kit. I will be easier than you think, just time consuming. I could get you started with the helmet.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Bob Cherry
Manius Acilius Italicus