Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite
Terminus post quem? Limit after which...

...the date after which an artifact must have been deposited.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Found it:
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/16-marketpl...=15#177174
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Does anyone have access to a Deepeeka manica segmentata? Before I think about purchasing one, I would like to see several detailed photos of it. All of the vendors that I have looked at only show the standard thumbnail. Many thanks.

-Tyler
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
I read all the time how reenactors want to be a "common soldier" what is that? The problem w/ trying to say that with the Romans is that we really don't know all that much. What we do know seems to suggest that they were not really uniform -- certainly NOT in the way we, as modern peoples think of it. Everyone has their own opinions on things. You've, I'm sure, read the tunica colour debates... So much we don't know because it was 2000 years ago. That's a long time. Few paintings. No photos... we sort of know, but not for sure. I suggest reading a lot and then kind of drawing your own conclusions.
My 2 cents, Marhs
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Quote:AD 70 is a popular year in America.

Why is that? Is it the Jerusalem connection?

In the UK I don't think the 43 AD invasion datline is especially represented. Late 1st C seems to rule. But thats just my impression...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
When I joined Quinta in South Shields, near Newcastle, a great kit guide was handed out. You were given details of everything, from spoon shapes to brooches, cloaks to shoes. And 3 levels of kit:

1. Beginner. Trousers (it was 3rdC), tunic, shoes, belt, cloak, spoon and bowl. That was it. With that you could join in, borrow kit, etc. So you made those bits of kit as good as you possibly could.

2. Soldier. Helmet, ringmail or scale, shield and spear, sword.

3. Veteran. Any extras ..... Greaves, extra armour, javelins, furca and kit bags etc.

When I later joined a popular Late Roman group, it always amazed me how many guys had helmets, spears, armour and greaves ... But when it rained had no cloak, and when free got handed out, had no bowl or spoon. And when you asked them for a knife to borrow, all they had was a sword ...

Get the basics right first ... Its the Quinta way Smile
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I think the trick to not looking like the "cut out" legionary is to personalise your equipment as much as possible. dye the leather in your kit, including you scabbard, add small accessories like unique belt plates and apron studs, try to find small unique pieces that you can talk to the public about. I think an important thing to remember is that legionaries lived and died based on the condition and familiarity with their equipment, it makes so much sense that a legionary might make modifications to his equipment to make it more serviceable and comfortable to wear.

Also PM me if your looking for a tunic, my wife makes historical constuming and is in the process of opening a little internet shop, really resonable. I think she charges $60 for a wool tunic with a focale and waist tie, machine sewn stiching on the inside, but hand finished exposed stiching. She also does braccae and claoks as well, so if you interested, let me know, she makes all of my soft kit.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
Put a dent in something. Scratch your shield, or rub another color of painted wood against it. Make things look used. Too many of us have bright, shiny perfect gear.

Think about what your equipment would look like, if you camped with it from April to October, and traveled, hiked, crossed rivers, crashed through underbrush, dug trenches, cut trees into lumber, etc., day after day, and the occasional battle with somebody who wanted to expose your brains to the air. Then you can get a feel for how the equipment and armor would have "really" looked.

It was not show samples: it was real, and used for the purpose intended. I'm very seriously considering taking a bar of metal and smacking a simulated sword/axe dent in the crown of my helmet. Really. Why not?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Does anyone have access to a Deepeeka manica segmentata? Before I think about purchasing one, I would like to see several detailed photos of it. All of the vendors that I have looked at only show the standard thumbnail. Many thanks.

-Tyler

I've seen it. I highly recommend you go with the Carlisle Manica from Armamentaria instead. It's 3rd century, but it applies to sort of a general timeframe really from 2nd-5th.

EDIT: @Brandon Barnes
I thought the waist sash was Fascia Ventralis, or do you sell that as a seperate item?
The fascia ventralis is a seperate item. The waist tie included is a simple length of fabric tied around the waist , the tunic can be bloused over. The fascia ventralis is a much larger piece of fabric as it is pretty wide and should wrap around the body several times.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
To really not look "cookie cutter" I think one should, as has been suggested, use your kit. Hell, I wear my paenula in the Winter all the time. I've worn it driving a truck -- I go swirling into the truck stop w/ a cloak on... You should see the looks. Sometimes it starts a good convo about Roman reenacting. Wear your cap. Don't buff things to a mirror polish. Sure, clean it (I'm bad about that), but it shouldn't look jeweled -- to MY mind.

Details, like personal items. A "farb bag" is good to keep things like keys or cell phone or inhaler or other meds in. Work on things like your caligae -- I know that I'm not happy w/ mine. Also, practice putting on your kit more than at events. It should be second nature to put on your kit. You'll also learn what needs work this way.

Look at fellow reenactors. What looks hinky. You don't want to look like a deepeeka ad. Look at pix of original belt parts and helmets... daggers, etc. WHAT'S WRONG? As long as you improve every time you go out, you'll soon become a great Roman soldier.
My 2 silver pennies ~Marsh

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Quote:The fascia ventralis is a seperate item. The waist tie included is a simple length of fabric tied around the waist , the tunic can be bloused over. The fascia ventralis is a much larger piece of fabric as it is pretty wide and should wrap around the body several times.
Several times for some of us means it would be 30 yards long. :razz:

I've actually heard a saying and I think it's very applicable here, "Most reenactors can improve their impression and authenticity by taking something off."

I think that's very true, and I'm sure we can all think of one thing in out kits that maybe a stretch to fit in historically, but we like it and think it looks cool so we continue on with it. Just food for thought.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
The quickest way to make people realize they need things like cloaks and knives and spoons and so on is make them suffer through a training camp/march.

Make them cook their food, make them realize it is a sunny day and they have nothing to carry water in, make them complain about cold because they don't have a cloak...

Another upside is that you get to field-test your own kit. You get to figure out what works and what doesn't. Your equipment gets scratched and/or dented, your pot blackened, your subarmalis dirty. You find out what you have to modify, what you better ditch, what you need to get. You begin to look like a soldier who has actually been on a campaign.
---
Martin Žďánský,
a.k.a. Appius Solanius Pertinax
I have a Fascia, it wraps about 3 times when I wear it.

@Marsh
Yes, I agree. I wear my Sagum sometimes, and also plan to wear my Late Roman shoes regularly when I get them. Same with my pannonian cap.