Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Not Look Like a Cutout Milite
When I decided to go into reenacting, I had every intention to reenact gladiatorial combat. I believe that this is one of the most misunderstood and poorly represented areas of Roman history. I am a college athlete, and am, consequently, in good shape. However, I have sustained sports injuries that I am afraid may (on a limited basis) impact my mobility and overall joint health in later life. As such, I need to change my planned impression. After reading threads and carefully reading people's complaints and needs, I figure that I can be of the most use by portraying a simple milite.

So, I have said all of that to say this: How can I properly portray a milite (say late first,early second century) without giving the idea that all roman soldiers wore segmentata and wore Gaulic G helmets?

We know that milites wore hamata and squamata, and there must be other things that we know. It is my intention for this thread to be a guide for other new reenactors. Hopefully on this thread everyone can post reenactorisms, and inauthentic equipment that hurts the overall presentation.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Wear a Gallic A and a Squamata. That would look awesome.
Gallic A? I distinctly remember a thread were there was a spirited debate about the service length of helmets. Although shining up all of that tin would be rather impressive. 8+)

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...ntury.html
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

I still love the Gallic A, a Gallic H is what I have. There's a few coolus patterns as well for the 1st century. Gallic C... Gallic F is nice because of the short neckguard.
What about an Italic G (Hebron)? I could style myself as a Dacian fighter. I think its good for groups to have at least one soldier from every time frame to give a timeline presentation. Besides, I can swap the helmet, lose the manica and ocrea, and fall in with the mid-first century troops (AD 70 is a popular year in America).
Tyler

One of Our guys, Mike, has a 2nd century impression. We go for the AD 70 timeframe, but I agree that groups should try to represent several periods, or at least show different parts of one (early 1st-mid 2nd, for example)
Yeah, the sixth really seems like it's thriving. I'd like to make Castra Romana some day, but I'm in season and on the road at that time. I've always wondered why nobody outside of centurio representations wears squamata for 1st century representations. We know that milites wore them. In fact, there's not one representation of lorica segmentata on the Adamklissi monument. All troops wore mail or scale. This is probably because the type of armor worn by legionary troops depended on geographic location.

Anyways, I'm rambling. One problem that I will probably have is helmet size. My head measured 23in around, so I'm worried that many helmets might be too small.
Tyler

Mine's like 23 inches around, most helmets fit me fine, but I can't wear a liner. A pannonian cap, pilos, or phrygian cap works in it's place though.
Well, that's reassuring. Do you believe that many reenactors attempt to over-embellish their equipment? Most milites were poor farmers, butchers, blacksmiths, and laborers. Since you either supplied your own equipment, or if you were too poor, it was supplied to you and the cost was taken out of your pay, wouldn't it be safe to assume that 9/10 legionnaires had just the very basic, legion supplied equipment?
Tyler

Well, the government supplied the equipment in the principate and late roman era, so it would be safe as it is now. Just depends on the unit you're assigne dto.
That is true, but I do believe there was (another) argument about whether soldiers kept their gear after retirement. So it is -possible- that if they lived in a peaceful, settled area, a father could pass on his gear to his son to save him money. If this system did exist, Im sure that the army would have no problem as long as the equipment was up to standard and up to date.
Speaking of saving money, reenactment is very expensive. I'm preparing to buy a tunic and caligae to start off. I might actually contact Rusty, as he seems to be one of the most reputable dealers in the US. Also, does anyone know if Rusty Myers makes his squamata in-house, or does it come from India?
Tyler

India but from really good suppliers. Also It take longer but Rusty can get custom sized helmets and armor. I like particularly the DSC GAllic A tinned bronze and not just because I helped with the development.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
I reenact a legionary from one of the legions based in Egypt, just after the First Jewish War (say AD 74). However in my story I am an evocatus - reenlisted/called back in at the request of my centurion. I initially joined my legion under Caligula. I wear a Coolus E (Hagenau - somewhat based on the Wallbrook helmet) and a lorica hamata (Roman mail). I wear 2 waist belts each one hold one of my side arms (gladius on one and pugio on the other).
Soldiers were likely issued equipment upon enlistment, but could - perhaps within some limits - customize or otherwise change items to suit their own tastes or fashion as they gained some wealth or rank. In addition to the one helmet cited above, I also have an Imp-Gallic A and an Imp-Gallic H. Interestingly, the Aquincum helmet seems to be popular (or was for a time) in my reenactment legion. I actually traded my Aquincum to another member for the I-G H a few years ago..
I also have several tunics, which I make myself. I have red and white and some that are more or less "natural" colored/ pale tans, very light brown, etc. and in both wool and linen. I layer tunics in the winter mohths and deomonstrate Roman winter kit (no braccae!). I now only use the braccae when I do an auxiliary impression.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
It is my intention (as with many others) to present what a common legionnaire would live like. As such, I've been trying to determine exactly what sort of items and gear a legionary would have in his daily life. It's difficult to determine what items a legionary would have had because you have to factor in what was required for him to have, survival gear, cultural and religious items, and personal effects. All of this, of course, has to be carried. For a long time, I have had a deep interest in Trajan's Dacian and Parthian wars. This, in my humble opinion, was when the Roman army was at its zenith, and I would like to depict the common milite from this time. I've noticed from the Adamklissi Metopes that no legionnaire was depicted wearing squamata, so I do not plan on using squamata. In fact, I believe that segmentata is grossly overused in reenactment. Also, on Trajan's column (which should be taken with a bucket-full of salt) I believe that there is a depiction of a legionnaire still wearing the old two-belt style. Can anyone validate this?

Regards,
Tyler
Tyler

Here is a good reference to get started with your impression: http://www.larp.com/legioxx/hndbk.html
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/