Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable auto-rendering of smilies
At present, RAT automatically renders certain sequences of characters as smilies. This causes problems for us, because bracketed book-chapter-and-section citations are often rendered as smilies (I think that EIGHT-ENDBRACKET becomes a goggly-eyed smily for example which messes up phrases like "some Monopodes wore armour of pancakes (Hilarius, Divus Spurius 8) "). Observant people can copy-edit their posts and add extra spaces, but that is a nuisance.

Is there any way to turn that off or change the codes? There are other ways to mark emotion such as
Code:
:grin:
or
Code:
<deadpan> .... </deadpan>
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I know it's possible, RAT uses the similies I've seen on TWC for years and I know they can disable smilies and have changed the code/added their own to avoid stuff like this happening.
There's no way to turn off BBCode processing (other than by using the code tag, but that'll look a bit weird), but I can indeed change the actual code. Eight-Bracket could certainly be changed. Any other ones?

And Evan, TWC uses an entirely different forum system. If something works there, there's no guarantee it'll work here (and vice-versa!)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yeah I understand that jasper.

Instead of having 3 of each smiley, can't we just have a bunch of different ones?
We can switch the entire smilie collection around if people want that, sure.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:There's no way to turn off BBCode processing (other than by using the code tag, but that'll look a bit weird), but I can indeed change the actual code. Eight-Bracket could certainly be changed. Any other ones?
I can't find a comprehensive list of bbcode smilies, but when I run my cursor over the list of possible emoticons about this post, I think that
Code:
8)
may be the only one. I just noticed that some references in Antiochus' latest thread were being mangled, and remember that happening to me.

I suspect that making as small a change as possible would be best, since this forum has so many years of complicated posts which would be affected. I know that changes in how characters are stored and rendered have mangled old posts with Greek text. And with people of such diverse age, nation, and education here a few emoticons are a good thing Smile Plain text can be misinterpreted very easily.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:I can't find a comprehensive list of bbcode smilies, but when I run my cursor over the list of possible emoticons about this post, I think that
Code:
8)
may be the only one. I just noticed that some references in Antiochus' latest thread were being mangled, and remember that happening to me.
I have had the same problem but, if Eight-Bracket could be switched off, that would solve it and there would still be two combinations left to produce the same smiley.

Incidentally, the Boardcode panel shows only two rows of smilies. I recall that, before the recent update, there were other options, such as the facility to choose the colour of the text. Will we be getting these back or are they lost for ever?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:Incidentally, the Boardcode panel shows only two rows of smilies. I recall that, before the recent update, there were other options, such as the facility to choose the colour of the text. Will we be getting these back or are they lost for ever?

Those are still there. Look at the row of icons above the smilies. There you can make bold text, italicise, change colours,
  • make
  • lists

and all sorts of things.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Those are still there. Look at the row of icons above the smilies. There you can make bold text, italicise, change colours,
  • make
  • lists

and all sorts of things.
That's the point; there is no row of icons above the smilies. All there is is a line of text reading, "Loading BBCode editor..." but nothing ever loads.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:That's the point; there is no row of icons above the smilies. All there is is a line of text reading, "Loading BBCode editor..." but nothing ever loads.
I can see them fine. What browser are you using?
Quote:I can see them fine. What browser are you using?
Internet Explorer.
Michael King Macdona

It comes up on Firefox just fine.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
No problem on Firefox.
Well, I am not intending to change, so I hope that something can be done about it.
Michael King Macdona

I tried Explorer and it worked fine for me. Have you tried clearing your cookies?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com