Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Gladius reference book
Does anyone know of any really detailed reference type books on essentially gladii, spathas and pugios mainly? I am really looking for specific archaeological finds and photos with almost every roman blade dug up (essentially). Ive seen quite a few for viking and celtic swords but I have yet to see anything Roman.

Thanks guys!
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
THE work on this is Miks, which will I believe be the reference for years to come. In German, but you won't find better- hundreds of illustrations/

Studien zur Romischen Schwertbewaffnung in der Kaiserzeit [Hardback]
Christian Miks (Author)

£140.00
.ISBN: 9783896461360 | Published by: Verlag Marie Leidorf GmbH |

Oxbow books link here http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/studien-...rzeit.html (they are David Brown books, if you are in USA)
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
That's right - Mik's book is really worth every Cent!

Here is the table of contents - to have a glimpse of what is in there:

Studien zur römischen Schwertbewaffnung in der Kaiserzeit
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Finally given in and acquired a copy. Got mine through Abe Books.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
It's a good investment, for if this edition runs out, it is very unlikely it will be reprinted, as many of this type of books are not. Then, it will triple in price, as it is SO great an overview of all types of Roman blades even found. And nearly every one has a picture in the second volume, preceded by a text portion, the dimensions of the find, where it was found including other gravegoods etc. For swords found with hilts and parts of these, the hilts are shown larger scale in more detail. Then there are very many loose finds described, including a large number of bone grips and different parts of hilts and scabbard fittings.

Good for you, Moi :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Awesome thank you all so much for the help! I am especially interested in really close up photos and illustrations that show detail of their construction. Its hard to see or tell on swords this old but if there is grain structure visible in the metal as well that is HUGE for me. I especially like weird and unique pieces so if it has them all I am very excited to get this and compare all that we know about this sword.

:grin:
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
now again available as new for 139,80 € at: www.antikmakler.de

I received mine yesterday :-)
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Mine has arrived too and appears to be a new one not second hand as I imagined.

It explains my absence from the forum for a few days :-) Fabulous reference (even if my German is dodgy!!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!