Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mougins Pugio
Well my mate Jimmy and I have finally finished our second piece, a reproduction of the Mougins Pugio, housed in the Mougins Museum, France.
The original (see photo) pugio and scabbard was iron and the bronze sheet decorations were added at some stage though still ancient insertions according to an expert I spoke with. The scabbard plates were trimmed down to fit the scabbard and are most likely Gladius plates from the first century AD, and given the width most likely of a transitional mainz/Pompeian type. The original scabbard has also plates on the reverse side, though these were a modern addition as there is no known evidence for decoration plates on the back of Kuenzing type scabbards according to leading archaeologists.
The blade and scabbard frame on our reproduction is made from mild steel, with a timber insert and leather covering on the reverse. The suspension rings are even riveted together. The repousse' plates are sterling silver with a patina, and the handle of the pugio is .8mm sterling silver also. 2mm sterling silver rivets. We decided to blue the metal to help limit the oxidisation.
I would again like to thank Brian Stobbs for his valuable input in helping Jimmy and I. Brian we are most grateful my friend. Smile

[attachment=7470]OriginalMouginpugioandscabbard.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7473]Mouginsdagger.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7472]MouginsPugioandScabbard.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7471]Scabbardplates.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7474]handle.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Ave Marcellus and Jimmy,
WOW.....Great Job!!!!! My question is : How much to you want for a copy of Said Pugio? As I am working up a Naval Navarchus impression, I would like to get a pugio that is close to the M. Aurelian period. Again. Laudes!!!!!!!!
Salve,
Vitruvius......aka Larry A. Mager
Larry A. Mager
Ave Marcellus and Jimmy,
WOW.....Great Job!!!!! My question is : How much to you want for a copy of Said Pugio? As I am working up a Naval Navarchus impression, I would like to get a pugio that is close to the M. Aurelian period. Again. Laudes!!!!!!!!
Salve,
Vitruvius......aka Larry A. Mager
Larry A. Mager
Thanks Larry, appreciate it.
I have sent a PM to you ok.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Phil.
I just have to say that you and Jimmy have realy done another very good job again, indeed both his metal work and of course your fine art repousse is looking just great, and thank you again for the compliments.
Brian Stobbs
That is a wonderful work. Sometimes, I feel sorry to be a first century reenactor, I can not use this wonderful replica!
It's from III century, all right?
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Nice work!
It the great thing about this forum that some people are very helpful and sharing of information and photos.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh YES! Nice piece, love the detailed work on the scabbard. How did you make the midrib? Was it forged in or ground out.

What a pitty there is no link to the first century gladius or spatha scabbard, it would make a nice addition to the designs available.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks Robert for your kind words. The midrib was ground out.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Robert.
I am not a blacksmith but have often wondered just how the midrib was put onto a pugio blade, an idea I have is did the blacksmith have a hard metal block with a groove that the blade was hammered down into when being forged.
Then another similar block hammered down onto the other side of the blade while it was still on the first block, why I mention this is that the Velsen dagger has had it mentioned that the two midribs are indeed offset from one another so could this have been a method possibly used.
Brian Stobbs
An interesting concept Brian, and makes a lot of sense.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Using the dollys to form the rib is one method/ The other is that the rib is "tripped up" I do not have the skills to do this but know some that do.
regards
Richard
Richard.
This method of being "tripped up" is a new one on me but as I have mentioned earlier I am not a blacksmith, just how is this method performed for it must be done whilst the metal is under high heat on an anvil I would imagine. ?
Brian Stobbs
The use of a swageblock is a possibility, for sure. But the filing/grinding out would also have been a real possibility, as it allows more control of getting the line straight. When the hot iron is placed between the blocks, keeping it aligned is quite a trick, as the block hides the blade from view and you can only do a small section at a time. It also takes two people to do it. Perhaps a combination was used, the blade roughed out using the swageblock to distibute the metal, then a subsequent fuling/grinding to get it straight. As there is always a good bit of work after the forging, I would think they left out the swageblock all together, forged the blade to a rhomboid cross section, cleaned it up removing the firescale and any bumps and then filing in the midrib. Some pugio show the midrib being defined by cutting in two narrow fullers. It looks raised, but on close inspection of the blade, the sides of the fullers are near level with the central ridge. Should you then file away the sides of the fullers, the ridge is left standing pround of the blade.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert.
Thank you very much for your explanation on the possible smithing techniques as I have said I was not a blacksmith and most of my own work was done by grinding of blades, however for re-enactment what I did reproduce fitted the bill but then like yourself there are those who try hard to follow the true experimental archaeology of things with I have to say good results.
Brian Stobbs