Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ivory handled Newstead spatha
What era would this be appropriate for?
Ave, Magister!
Since the Segontium Gladius at least appears to be similar, I'd take a guess that his gladius period is similar.....about 2nd C, ce. What do you think?
My best,
Salve,
Vitruvius......aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
It looks Principate Era to me, so 1st-2nd century is what I'm guessing? I wish I had a copy of the Mik's book.
Ave, Magister,
re: Mik's book: Me too.....lol,
Salve,
Vitruvius.............aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I believe that this blade according to what I can see in Miks is 1st C.....maybe mid or later.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Doc is correct, the Newstead blades are all dated around 81-84 AD as their latest date. So second half first century is accurate dating for this piece. The handle A25 is a bit later, but conforms to the types use in the first century. The cavalry style handle shows a small pommel, which makes rotation in the hand easier, as I have experienced with the replication of this handle type.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Even though I don't have the book in question, the comment about the pommel makes sense having tried both large and small pommels.
Salve,
Vitruvius............aka.Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Avete omnes

Robert this sword is absolutly a masterpiece!LAUDES,LAUDES;LAUDES
PierPaolo siercovich
I'll sing the "Amen" to Brother Planco's "Laudes"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Salve,
Vitruvius..............aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I heard about this last weekend at an event! really nice work Robert!
I was surprised to hear about Mammoth ivory,as I had thought all ivory from dead elephants was now illegal to trade in....
Fantastic sword.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, you can't get more extinct then a mammoth, so any need for conservation is gone :wink: China snaps up most of the good quality stuff, though. Good thing is you can tell the difference quite well by the Schreger lines in the ivory itself.

Hoping to see a snap of you wielding that falx soon :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Ave, Y'all,
I too thought Ivory was illegal.....I wish we could get it here in the States. I'd lover to make an exact copy of the Segontium Gladius hilt group out of Ivory, although I think to be exact, I would need African elephant ivory.....(if I am wrong about the species, Someone PLEASE tell me, as I hate to look ignorant.....) Thanks,
Salve,
Vitruvius............aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
http://www.fws.gov/lab/ivory_natural.php

Well, here a quick quide to ivory. The Romans would have used elephant ivory, no need to go trekking around Siberia looking for frozen tusks for them.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Essentially, the ivory from the elephant and the mammoth is the same stuff. The difference is in the lines as Robert pointed out. So if you want to make that gladius in ivory, mammoth is ideal. Mind you the elephant ivory will never make it through customs. The mammoth ivory will and its still ivory.

However, I have read that there is word that mammoth ivory may become illegal not too long from now.....something to think about.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Ave, y'all,
Where can I order some mammoth Ivory for the Segontium Gladius and approx how much will it cost me. I would like to order some before its too late.
Thankks,
Salve,
Vitruvius......aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newstead Spatha Marc 5 1,767 09-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Albaniana bronze handled knife Robert 21 3,436 12-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Robert
  How to - My new bone handled sword and scabbard Crispvs 40 12,059 11-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Pointer