Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Roman Gladius stands
Does any one know what, if any sort of Gladius stands Imperial Romans used as keeping ones gladius from getting rusty from what ever moisture the leather and wood in the scabbard soake through to the blade. Since it isn't a good Idea to display ones gladius on edge like a lot of swords are shown, I would have to think that it was put in a stand vertically with the gladius resting on the pommel nut. maybe on a table so as to be grabbed quick if needed.
Let me know what y,all think if you would. Now I go back to watching "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" 1953 w/ Raymond Burr as Steve Martin......Infinitely better than the original version "Gojira"
Salve all
Vitruvius......aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
If you oil the blade, the problem is solved, basically, and it doesn't take much effort to unsheath a gladius, bro, as long as the scabbard has been properly made. Many come with leather inside the throat, which hangs up the blade. When that is removed, the gladius can be unsheathed easy as it needs to be.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Gladius scabbards usually have rings attached for hanging off belts/baldricks. They also hang quite well off wall hooks, Big Grin

regards
Richard
Ave, my brothers,
I just didn't know if, like the Samurai, the romans displayed their swords on a stand.
Ave, for now and thanks,
Vitruvius...........aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager