Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesserae and Tali
I was a bit dissapointed recently while browsing for quick sources of information on dice games.Most sources were concerned only with reference to Tali, some to Tesserae as played with only 2 dice (by Romans) and 3 dice by Greeks?. From the start that sounded odd.
Then i became more curious when i saw the wall art recovered at Pompei, there are two players each with three dice (tesserae) and there is a cup for throwing.
Pompei was a town built in the Roman style was it not?. Then i found what could be my answer on google books.The title was _ Roman Antiquities, or an account of the manners and customs of the Romans, the author being_ Alexander Adam.
The content from pg 326 ill paraphrase; Venus the highest throw is, of the Tesserae when all three dice are sixes, and of the Tali when four dice are of dissimilar values.
So he has the Romans playing six sided dice in threes not two's.
I know figures such as Emperor Augustus played tali but im inclined to believe that tesserae became more popular and that people throughout the empire would be aware of both versions of the game and might chose a favourite regardless of region.
Example people playing two dice tesserae when drinking at an inn given the shorter odds and quicker pace of play.

Opinions please? before i try to look further into this.
Non Aquilae muscas captare.

Paul Francis