Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translation of Leo
Does anyone have a translation of Leo 7 33 and 7 53? Or does anyone know of an English translation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Could you add the first word of the paragraphs in question? I have two copies of the work, and unfortunately, one has 70 paragraphs in chapter 7 and the other 90 (same text, different paragraph structure).
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Macedon wrote:
Could you add the first word of the paragraphs in question? I have two copies of the work, and unfortunately, one has 70 paragraphs in chapter 7 and the other 90 (same text, different paragraph structure).

The footnotes only have what I have given. It's suppose to be about the standard bearer retiring from the front when the fighting is about to happen. The standard bearer is suppose to withdraw to the middle of the century.

That's all I know. So if you know of an English translation I will get a copy.
Then, you probably mean the 90 paragraphs version. In the 70 paragraph version these do not contain anything regarding the standard-bearers.

"Ἑτέρα δέ, ὥστε σφίγγεσθαι κατὰ πλευρὰν μάλιστα πρεπόντως, ὁμοίως δὲ σφίγγεσθαι καὶ κατ’ οὐράν. τὸ δὲ σφίγγεσθαί ἐστι τὸ πυκνοῦσθαι, ἵνα καὶ κατὰ πλευρὰς καὶ κατὰ ὦμον ἀλλήλοις ἐγγίζωσι. παραγγέλλει δέ· κατὰ πλευρὰν σφίγγε, τοῦτ’ ἔστι, δεκάρχαι πρὸς δεκάρχας, πεντάρχαι πρὸς πεντάρχας, τετράρχαι πρὸς τετράρχας. καὶ σφίγγονται πάντες, ὡς εἴρηται, πλευρὰν πρὸς πλευρὰν ἐγγίζοντες. οὐκ ἐπὶ ἑνὸς δὲ μέρους σφίγγονται, ἀλλ’ ἐπὶ τὸν μέσον τόπον, τοῦτ’ ἔστι, τὸν βανδοφόρον, ὥστε ἔνθεν κἀκεῖθεν αὐτοῦ γίνεσθαι. συντόμως γὰρ καὶ εὐτάκτως ἡ τοιαύτη γίνεται σφίγξις. ὥσπερ δὲ οἱ δεκάρχαι ἰσοῦνται ἐν ἀλλήλοις κατὰ μέτωπον, οὕτως πρέπει καὶ τοὺς τετράρχας ἤγουν τοὺς οὐραγοὺς ἰσοῦσθαι ὀπίσω τοῦ ὀρδίνου. αὐτῶν γὰρ σφιγγομένων κατὰ λόγον, κἂν λιποτακτήσωσιν ἐν ταῖς συμβολαῖς οἱ ἔμπροσθεν, κωλύονται ὑπ’ αὐτῶν εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω τρέπεσθαι." 7.33

Another exercise is to tighten up by flank, as it is really fit, and also to tighten up from the rear. Tightening is the densening (of the ranks) until they touch their sides and shoulders. The order is "to tighten by flank", which means the dekarchae towards the dekarchae, the pentarchae towards the pentarchae, the tetrarchae towards the tetrarchae and all tighten up, as is already said, side touching side. And they do not tighten towards a single flank but towards the middle ground, that is the standard-bearer, so that everything happens on the two sides of him. That tightening happens quickly and in order, as the dekarchae keep an even front to each other, and likewise should the tetrarchae, that is the rear-rankers, even their front behind the files. When these tighten, it is logical that even when those in front of them (the rear-rankers) want to flee during the engagement, they are checked in their flight by those in the rear."

"ὁρίζονται τοίνυν αἱ ἀκίαι πρῶτον τοῦ πεζικοῦ τάγματος, καθὼς ἄνω του ἐσημάναμεν, ὥστε τάσσεσθαί τινας μὲν αὐτῶν ἀριστερᾷ, τινὰς δὲ δεξιᾷ τοῦ βάνδου ἤτοι τοῦ ἄρχοντος. καὶ προπορευομένου τοῦ ἄρχοντος ἅμα τῷ βανδοφόρῳ καὶ τῷ μανδάτωρι καὶ βουκινάτωρι ἐπακολουθοῦσιν ὡς ὡρίσθησαν οἱ λοχαγοὶ ἤγουν οἱ πρωτοστάται ἢ δέκαρχοι, πρῶτον οἱ τοῦ ἀριστεροῦ μέρους καὶ τότε τοῦ δεξιοῦ." 7.53

First are the files of the infantry unit determined, as we have illustrated above, so that some of them draw up on the left and others on the right of the standard, that is of the commander. And the commander marches in front with the standard-bearer, the mandator (herald) and the buccinator (trumpeter) after him, then follow the lochagoi (file-leaders), that is the protostatae or dekarchoi, as they have been appointed, first those of the left meros and then of the right."

If you need the whole text, it is really superb even though much influenced by older treatises, Dennis has published a translation, but I cannot comment on it because I do not have it.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
Do you know if Leo 's Taktika is available on the web and where can I find it?
Francesco Guidi
You can find it only in the original Greek as far as I know and that in pdf.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
Ok, thank you!
Francesco Guidi
Thanks Macedon for the time to make the translation. It is greatly appreciated.

I found a review of Dennis' translation.

https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/bitst...sequence=1