Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a Roman Canteen be made from Copper?
Considering getting a hold of the Deepeka
canteens and lining them with copper or
just patterning them off of the same model
and plating them in nickel and re using the
brass fittings and cap closure?

What do you think?

I dont want to drink from a canteen that has a plastic liner
have done so years ago when camping. Dont like the taste.

Can a wooden Civil War era or Rev War era canteen be used instead?

With risking being farby...

What do you think?
I have a boiled leather canteen from Rusty. After a rinse (this doubles to check for leaks, which there were none) the water tastes fine.
Copper oxides, like those often found in bronze or brass cookpots and other containers, are toxic. As with most metal poisoning, the toxins are cumulative. In other words, the mercury you played with as a kid, some of which entered your body, is still there.

Metal poisons don't go away. If you want to make a canteen of metal, I'd suggest tin instead of copper. It is not toxic. The often copied metal "canteen" was more likely an oil container. Oils soak into pottery, and can go rancid, which affects the next oil that's put into the container. So pottery amphorae for oil were not used over and over. Too much risk of spoiling the next batch. Tin: that's the ticket.

Then the question becomes what shape to make it. We don't really know much about individual water containers, but most likely they were water-skins, such as are used by peoples everywhere before the entrance of Evian and its genre of bottled water. Glass is another possibility, but it has its own set of difficulties.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman \"Canteen\" rzienta 101 22,959 05-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  home made brass / copper polish A_Volpe 2 1,066 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Julilla