Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"Let\'s all be careful out there
With apologies to the late Hill Street Blues,( the title), Just a caution to be careful with sharp blades. To wit: Yesterday, (Wed), I was examining my Spatha blade and was holding it at an angle over my left forearm when something scared Isabella, my Australian shepherd, and she jumped up onto my chest (my Heroine) , and Yep, the Spatha slid down onto my left forearm and now I have an inch and a half fillet. I didn't need stitches,as I used a "Butterfly Bandage on it......I also didn't need Antonia getting upset with me... I knew I had done something done.......lol. Soooooo, my fellow Romans,
in the words of the Sargeant on "Hill Stree Blues" .....Let's all be careful out there,
Salve in hopes y'all ARE careful,
Vitruvius.......aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Vitruvius is not by any chance Latin for 'fillet'? :whistle:

Thanks for the warning Larry.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hope it heals up soon! Make sure it doesn't get infected either. Dog+Sword+Large Laceration means it can get infected easily.
Ave, Dr. Vermaat and Magister,
First off, You might be right about what "Vitruvius" means, (Too much laughter for an icon to show.....HA Ha!!!!!!!) Mayhaps that SHOULD be my middle Roman name!!!!!!! (see my sign off below).
2nd off, Magister, my Magister, I appreciate your concern and yes, when I went to the local Valetudenum (hospital) about 5 minutes away, I was told that A.) the layer of skin was so thin, it would do MORE damage to sew it, and B.) Since Jaqui (my Best Half) is a retired nurse who keeps up with the latest in medicine) will be keeping an eye on it and C.) I was bleeding so profusely, the doctor who saw me did not think that it would get infected.. Btw, if anyone else has my experience, get someone else if possible to wipe down your blade before you put it in its scabbard. It keeps the blade from pitting........
Salve for now, (and keep those cards and letters coming, folks...lol)
Vitruvius Filletus Armicus.........aka.Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I don't sharpen any spear or sword blades, only knives and axes I know I will be using. I don't see a reason to have real honest combat level sharp blades around, especially if I'm pulling it out of a scabbard and there might be public around. Just too risky.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
In our legion we don't sharpen blades because it's just to easy to cut yourself, period. Some of the guys sharpen their blades out of choice though, Mike Daniels and Edge both have some of their blades sharpened, but those who do generally have a dull sword too, for safety and display and stuff.
In the interest of archaeological research, we need a full report on the injury, pain level and the damage done by a spatha. Just saves us finding someone else to test blades on!:dizzy:

Seriously, hope it didn't hurt too much and heals quickly.
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
Ave, My friends....all of you!!!
In order of comments, so to speak : Mithras and Aetius, I chose a sharp weapon for several reasons: A.) right now I am not doing re-enactments,
and BSmile I am not going to spend money on a metal club and I am not criticizing any for their choices as I understand and agree with them......If I were to pull out my spatha in a crowd, I would do what is done in theS.C.A. in a similar situation, I 'd just yell "CLEAR!!" to notify all those around.
Thats why I bought a LARP spatha if I were to do combat.
Ave, Abrunis, It was a short fillet on the upper left forearm. The cut is approximately 1" (2.5 cm) long. The cut is just through the skin, but not into the muscle layer. The cut did not hurt . What hurt was when it started to bleed about 30 seconds later as well as while it is healing. Let's just say that my wife Antonia's anger @ my stupidity, which is what it was.......now THAT hurt! LOL Now I know what a fish would feel like. Thanks for everyones' Good wishes, Salve for now,
Larry Mager aka.....Vitruvius Filletus
Larry A. Mager
Here in our state, because our events are almost entirely on public property and are subject to SC law, we cannot legally allow the public to handle our "weapons" and sharp weapons can't be removed from the scabbard at all (although not because of the law, it's just some kid always wants to touch it when they see a sword).

We're registered SCA, that's in part why we're subject to this. It would better to not be registered as "SCA" but we can kill 2 people with our insurance.
Ave M'Lord Magister.
I think as do My Domina Antonia, that Your Group has a Great idea.....for that, we thank you. What Kingdom SCA are you a part of? Please PM me with the infor on insurance and where you are located in SC and we might be able to make a stop to visit during our Fall East Coast trip.
What do you think of using quality Larp weapons for demos especially if children are around? Antonia and I have a couple of nice ones that I am making "Scabbards"(I won't use the "V" word) for them. What do you use for weapons at the SCA events your group attends? Rattan or Larp?
I thank you again, M'Lord Magister,
Salve,
Vitruvius Filletus and Antonia..........aka Larry and Jaqui Mager
Larry A. Mager
Well we don't do SCA, we're only registered for the insurance. We do have an event in Columbia on the 28th if you want to come visit, and again on the November 9th we host Castra Romana which is the big Roman Re-enactment event in the south east.
Just a note about Texas. Public carrying of swords and knives with a blade over 5 inches is prohibited. An exception is made for reenactors at festivals, provided the weapons are "tied down" to prevent easy removal from scabbards.

Generally sharpening of blades is discouraged here. Nonetheless, most bladed weapons have sharp points. So caution in handling is paramount.

SCA rules may differ from state to state.
Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
Praefectus Legionis
Legio Tredecim Gemina
Ave, Gentlemen,
Thank you both for the info on Texas( I'm starting a notebook on regs the states have) and Again Domine Magister kfor the invite. Sadly, I dont think we will be able to make the 28th because Jaqui will be having her hip replaced in July and will be recouperating then, but we might quite possibly be able to make Castra Romana.....Keep your fingers crossed... and again, Thanks to both of you.......
BTW Publius, I've been to Amarillo several time and I think one just about needs a spatha to kill those mosquitos there......those "blood suckers" are as big as B-52 Bombers......LOL
Ave for now
Vitruvius Filletus......aka Larry Mager
P.S. BTW Pierre, if you are new here, Welcome to a group of Great Folk!!!!!! It's a lot of fun!
Larry A. Mager