Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plumata scales
Ave,<br>
<br>
I was wondering, with regards to the L. Plumata, should the scales be placed side by side, or should they overlap the scale next to them?<br>
<br>
The only 'reconstruction' instructions I've seen says that the scales had four holes at top, and each scale shared one hole with the one next to it. Yet, given the size of the scales and rings, and the holes needed, would it be more accurate to simply place the scales next to each other instead? The few sample reconstructions I've seen people do, usually use three holes and are placed side by side.<br>
<br>
So which is more historically accurate? What was the actual assembly of the L. Plumata that has been found?<br>
<br>
M. Artorius <p></p><i></i>
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

aka David Coleman
Ave!<br>
<br>
From the little bits that I've seen, it really looks like the scales do not overlap. The edges might overlap a little, depending on how far in the holes are, but the holes themselves do not overlap (though they certainly do on regular scale armor). I'm looking at a photo of a fragment found at Newstead sent to me by Erik Schmid, and a shot of a piece posted by Dan Peterson, as well as photos in Robinson. All are a little jumbled and fragmentary, of course, but in each case it is possible to pick out at least one pair of scales that appear to be neatly in place, and they do not share a ring.<br>
<br>
That help? Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Ah, so the scales do *NOT* overlap as per those instructions I've read. That would make a lot more sense really. As to the number of holes...do they have three or four? Or could even two be used? I need to know so I can figure out what size of a hole punch I need, so I can order it, so help on this final bit would be appreciated.<br>
<br>
As a side note, does anyone know of a good supplier of red brass? I've found one... www.monsterslayer.com/mis...rasS&W.htm ...and they seem like a good source, just curious if anyone knows anything about this place, or if there are any other sources out there. I really want to use red brass if at all possible.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the help,<br>
<br>
Vale;<br>
<br>
Marcus Artorius <p></p><i></i>
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

aka David Coleman

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica plumata scales Anonymous 23 11,495 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Doc