Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cestrosphendon
Looking on another message board, I came across this reference to an interesting weapon that I have never heard of before: [url=http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1074713443" target="top]Cestrosphendon[/url]. Does anyone have more information? <p></p><i></i>
Fascinating. The missile looks very much like one of the modern interpretations of the martiobarbula..<br>
How does "cestrophendon" translates? <p></p><i></i>
The only thing is the plumbatae had lead weights this more like a slung dart with speed doing the penetration vice the weight.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Owain/Cicero/Dave <p></p><i></i>
I am giving this thread a shameless bump as the link on sling.org has now attracted a great deal of attention which may be of further interest. <p></p><i></i>
Yes - I've made one and I'm currently field testing it! My design is heavily influenced a fellow slinger on the slinging.org website.<br>
<br>
Interesting not just from a ballistics/ancient missile weapon point of view, but also from a historical one. Was the kestros a brief experiment that was never pursued? I don't know of any use or reference beyond its use by the Macedonians against Sulla (but then I haven't looked).<br>
<br>
See the bottom of my webpage: www.geocities.com/zozergames/sling.html <p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:</em></strong><hr>How does "cestrophendon" translate?<hr><br>
This appears to be a Greek loan word used (created?) by Livy.<br>
In the original description, Polybius mentions only the <em>kestros</em>, as a missile thrown by <em>sphendonê</em>, or sling (Plb. 27.11).<br>
Livy's description (note that much of his work is assumed to have been lifted from Polybius) begins: "they were especially hurt by the cestro-sling" (<em>maxime cestrosphendonis vulnerabantur</em>; Liv. 42.65). <p></p><i></i>
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cestrosphendon illustration Anonymous 25 6,265 12-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius