Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brigetio Tombstone
As a reference for my article, I'm looking for information on the Tombstone found in Szony, Hungary that evidences the existence of Legio I Audiatricis' presence there in 444. I've heard about it several times, but have never seen a reference to the actual stone itself.

Thanks in Advance!
Hi Evan
Have you tried the www.manfredclauss.de database?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Awesome, but I searched keywords like"CDXLIV" and "Brigetio" and there is nothing that dates to that era. I guess it doesnt have the inscription.
Quote:I'm looking for information on the Tombstone found in Szony, Hungary that evidences the existence of Legio I Audiatricis' presence there in 444.
Are you maybe thinking of the entry in the Codex Iustiniani that mentions I Adiutrix in the year 444?

"The Emperors Theodosius and Valentinian to Zoilus, Praetorian Prefect. We direct that the bureau clerks (scriniarii), as well as the stenographers (exceptores) and others, ... shall have the right to have their own special property (castrensis peculii), just as if they served in the First Adiutrix Legion" (Cod. Iust. XII.36.6: imp. Theodosius et Valentinianus AA. Zoilio p.p. Ius castrensis peculii tam scriniarios quam exceptores ceterosque ... ac si in legion prima adiutrice nostra militant, inviolatum habere praecipimus).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Do you have any further details that would enable you to narrow the scope of your search? 'Brigetio' and 'legio I Adiutrix' alone are pretty wide criteria.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
That must be it! thanks! I know the legion was still around (the ND has it listed still stationed in Brigetio), but I thought it was a tombstone that mentioned it, not the Iustiniani.

Also, I could use a reference to AMH Jones about the Felices Iuniores Galla Placidi Valentinianici. I cant acquire a copy of his book because I live South Carolina and we're 49th in Education (i.e. no Library in the state has it).

I think it's this book:
The Later Roman Empire, 284-602: A Social, Economic, and Administrative Survey
But I can't afford 180 Dollars for it.

This is the N.D. Reference:
VII. Qui numeri ex praedictis per infrascriptas provincias habeantur:

Intra Italiam:
Placidi Valentinianici felices
Quote:Awesome, but I searched keywords like"CDXLIV" and "Brigetio" and there is nothing that dates to that era. I guess it doesnt have the inscription.

Hi Evan,

If you still want to look up inscriptions (as I saw Mr. Campbell already led you to what you we're looking for; but I already typed this message, so I guess I'd better post it anyway Wink )...
The database (often referred to as EDCS) is very unforgiving for imperfect search keywords. For example, if you want to look up CIL XIII.8648 (the famous tombstone of Marcus Caelius) you'd have to type in the 'Beleg'-box:
Code:
CIL 13, 08648
... with exact spaces, comma and numbers (first two numbers (so not 5 but 05) and then five (so not 352 but 00352).

I suggest you search for "Brigetio" (in the Ort-box). I get 974 hits, so that's quite a bit, but if you search in the results with the search option of your browser (Ctrl + F) for "Adi" (as the first letters of Adiutrix), you have 45 hits, which is quite doable to search in. Good luck!
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
That's what I was doing, its just that nothing dated to that era, but thanmks anyways. I'm gonna see if they have the inscriptions from the statue of Aetius and the one of Merobaudes later.
[quote="Magister Militum Flavius Aetius" post=338290]I cant acquire a copy of his book because I live South Carolina and we're 49th in Education (i.e. no Library in the state has it).

Isn't there an inter-library loan service you can use?

EDIT: Why is my reply in italics? It never used to be like this.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:EDIT: Why is my reply in italics? It never used to be like this.
Because you removed the 'endquote' code [ / quote ] (without spaces) from the original quote. That way, the entire answer is coded as 'quote' and therefore, in Italics. ;-)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Renatus post=338335 Wrote:EDIT: Why is my reply in italics? It never used to be like this.
Because you removed the 'endquote' code [ / quote ] (without spaces) from the original quote. That way, the entire answer is coded as 'quote' and therefore, in Italics. ;-)
Silly me!
Michael King Macdona

Quote:Isn't there an inter-library loan service you can use?

Yes but only in-state and the only book they have by AMH Jones is on Constantine's Conversion. And I don't have any access to college libraries because I'm not in college yet.
Quote:
Renatus post=338335 Wrote:Isn't there an inter-library loan service you can use?

Yes but only in-state and the only book they have by AMH Jones is on Constantine's Conversion. And I don't have any access to college libraries because I'm not in college yet.
That's a pity. It seems to work better here in the UK. I have two books at the moment, obtained through my local public library, and they're both from university libraries.
Michael King Macdona

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry Helmet Brigetio jho 1 2,511 12-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Last Post: woboh