Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mithraeum Question.
Im still quite new to in depth study of things Roman, but already curious about Mithraeism in Britain. So i came across a description of existant Mithraeums while i was browsing and the source (excuse me forgetting that) described a rumoured mithraeum in a cellar of the church in Alstom, near Penrith.
Now i have visited this place because there is a volunteer run ski club nearby.
Anyway i remember the church and am wondering why the Mithraeum is described as a rumour . So im left thinking do you guys know anything of this and if access is available.
Thanks in advance.
Non Aquilae muscas captare.

Paul Francis
Hello, Paul, and welcome to RAT. There isn't a whole lot of information about Mithraism, since it was a secret society for the most part. I can see why a church might not want to advertise that there was a Mithraeum in its cellar, but somehow, it's not very likely, I'd think, that the building is still being used 1700 years later. It's possible, of course. Have you tried to contact the church directly? That might be a good starting point.

There are people on the forum who know much of what's known about Mithras. Be patient, and someone will probably see the thread and come to the rescue! Meanwhile, there is a forum rule that you add your name to your signature in your profile, and we'd appreciate it if you'd take care of that. Thanks!

If you need help navigating the forum, or using the search feature (which could probably yield a few hits on Mithra, etc) please don't hesitate to ask for pointers. Feel free to get involved in conversations that interest you.

Thanks again, Paul
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Im still quite new to in depth study of things Roman, but already curious about Mithraeism in Britain.
You'll be interested in Ancient Warfare magazine, Vol. VII, No. 4, later this year: http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/cms...-plan.html
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London Mithraeum to be returned to its site Semisalis Abruna 1 873 09-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat