Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurions vine staff
Quote:Break one over a soldier's back? call out "Fetch me another!"

Didn't his men mutiny and kill him?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:
M. Demetrius post=337370 Wrote:Break one over a soldier's back? call out "Fetch me another!"

Didn't his men mutiny and kill him?

Yes they did.

Lucilius – mentioned by Tacitus, was killed during a mutiny that broke out upon the death of Augustus. The soldiers had nicknamed him “Another Please!” for his habit of breaking his vine staff while beating his soldiers and then calling loudly for another stick. (Tacitus, The Annals, p46)

The Mutiny of 14CE Upon the Death of Augustus

The Army of Lower Germany, the 1st, 5th, 20th and 21st Legions, mutinied upon hearing the news of Augustus’ death and the naming of Tiberius as the new emperor.

From Tacitus, The Annals of Imperial Rome (page 51)

This was a massive outbreak. There was a universal cry that they had won Rome’s victories, her fate rested with them, and the army commander used a surname (Germanicus) derived from them.

The general, Caecina Severus, took no counter-measures. The scale of the disturbances broke his nerve. Suddenly, in a passionate frenzy, swords drawn, the men attacked their centurions – the customary targets of the army’s ill will, and the first victims of any outbreak. They were hurled to the ground and given the lash, sixty strokes each, one for each of them in the legion. Then, broken and mutilated, they were cast outside the camp or thrown into the Rhine, more dead than alive.

One, Centurion Septimius, took refuge on the general’s dais and fell at Caecina’s feet. But he was shouted for so violently that he had to be given up to his fate.

Centurion Gaius Cassius Chaerea, who later went down in history as the assassin of the emperor Gaius Caligula and was at this time young and fiery, fought his way through the armed mob, which held him up.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Is it true that the virus was a symbol of authority a centurion held over a other roman citizens, who in normal conditions no one was allowed to hit or cause any form of violence against? I am also under the impression that a centurion was not allowed to hit a legionary on the head particularly in the facial area. Is that correct?
I'm not sure if this one is really a true vine, but this is my solution:

[attachment=7229]vine2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
There is a wild vine that grows around here, mostly in the now-rare wet areas, that grows around branches and grapevines, making a spiral like that. There are not very many of them, especially since the 4 year drought we've been enduring. Really interesting looking. Bet you'd give out some unusual bruising patterns with that one.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I use a simple hazel rod, my little fustis. I also have one that looks like the late-roman ones, which have a "head" and are often seen in hands of officers who rest on them.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani