Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronze Centurio Greaves
This is a pair of greaves I finished today, made from phosphor bronze. Fit was ensured by taking casts of my customer's legs, and a good deal of planishing and sanding ensured that the final polish did not highlight any unsightly rippling. The greaves will have liners and laces added by their owner.

[Image: 8726762535_f10eb69598_z.jpg]

[Image: 8726762623_75bdf0a7ba_z.jpg]

-Hildebrandt
Wonderful recreation! This is how the original greaves must have looked like!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Very beautiful! Where do you buy phosphor bronze sheet?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Online metals. Their in-house customs brokerage is inefficient - I ended up waiting three weeks while they shipped it from their warehouse to their broker, but if you live in the US you shouldn't have any problems. As you will find, it pays to buy several years supply all at once, because you get gouged on small orders.

The maximum width of phosphor bronze (in armour thicknesses) I have found available anywhere, after intensive searching, is 16". If anyone knows of a source for wider bronze I would be extremely grateful. 16" isn't wide enough to make a cuirass or raised helmet from.

-Hildebrandt
Quote:The maximum width of phosphor bronze ... is 16".
Yes, that's the reason for the question. Narrow strips are easy to find. I wonder if the Greeks and Romans had the same trouble. (Lucius, is your Internettus connection up? I need some bronze sheet. What?? 3 weeks backorder?? The battle will be over by then.)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The maximum width of phosphor bronze (in armour thicknesses) I have found available anywhere, after intensive searching, is 16". If anyone knows of a source for wider bronze I would be extremely grateful. 16" isn't wide enough to make a cuirass or raised helmet from.

If you're not averse to sourcing from the UK, you might have some luck with these people: http://www.hbhumphries.co.uk/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks, Tarb. I'll bet freight to Texas would be piratical!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That and import duty. It's a killer.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Multinational tariff/tax and mindless bureaucracy will be the death of us all.
Did I just write that? I guess it will be Room 101 for me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.