Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trier / Treveris
What was Trier called in later Roman times?

Originally it was Augusta Treverorum, but the last reference I can find for that name is an inscription of Phillip the Arab - is there anything later?

‘Treveris’ appears in Ammianus - Valentinianus a Treveris motus (30,5.1). But is this just an inflected form of the tribal name Treveri? I think Ammianus uses other tribal names to denote cities - Remi for Durocortorum, which later transformed into the modern Reims, for example.

If there was a change from the original Roman city name to an alternative based on the 'tribal' title, when did the change happen? Was it official, or just a sort of nickname that stuck?

(* Incidentally, it took me seven attempts and much swearing to post this message - I eventually twigged that I'd written '30' in Roman numerals, and the board software was blocking it...! :-D )
Nathan Ross
He calls Chalons-Sur-Saone by its original roman name "Cabillonum."

Funny thing is most cities deviated from tribal names in that era. Cenabum was renamed Aurelianum (Orleans), Augusta Suessionum (from the Suessones) became Novidunum.
Don't forget the valuable edit button on the bottom line. Using this button, you should be able to edit in things that the spam filter would otherwise block, like multiple links, for example.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
You might want to check the Notitia Galliarum. In it the names of the civitates are those of the tribes, though those of their main cities are sometimes listed after.
Quote:You might want to check the Notitia Galliarum.

Thanks. Your suggestion led me to the Regnum Francorum Online, which has a very useful listing of geographical sources for later Roman Gaul.

The section on Trier (here) gives a number of alternative names, including Treveros civitas and Treveris (from the Antonine Itinerary, c.215), Metropolis ciuitas Treuerorum (from the Notitia Galliarum, c.390-413), Treoris (Ravenna Cosmography, c.500) and the interesting Magnerico Treverorum (Historiarum Francorum, c.585).

There is also Avḡ Tresviror(vm) from the Peutinger Table (c.328), which might suggest that the full imperial name (or a variation of it) was still in use even at a late date - although there are a number of anachronisms in Peutinger, so maybe not...

Quote:Don't forget the valuable edit button on the bottom line.

Yep, I tried that quite a few times! It just didn't want me to add anything containing a triple X...
Nathan Ross
Bookmarked that! the Harvard Historical Atlas (found here) may also be useful.