Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap Pila
You may have a million of them, but most of us don't...hence we use cheapies. Unless you want to start donating pila to all of us for free or for the cost of a cheapy chucker? :twisted:

Legion: TBD
I was using the new deepeeka pilum as a 'cheapie' chucker, but ir is a- heavy and b- mine bends like a pretzel every time it gets thrown.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A pilum is probably the simplest and least expensive weapon to make... about $40... and it only takes a few hours.

Certainly looks better to the public doesn't it?

I know that folks enjoy watching us straighten out bent shafts. We often bring a small anvil ( a rock works too!) and a hammer (or another rock..) to the range at events but most metal shaft bends only require the ground, the sole of a foot and some arm powered leveraging

We rarely break one, maybe one at an event or practice but we're tossing them 100's of times! Lately most breaks that require rebuilding rather than a repair occur during our mass volley practices... more often pila stabbing into each other as they impact the ground. The ground at our regular practice site isn't soft either... 2-3 inches of topsoil.. pila often don't even stick, the ground's so hard!

A few slightly bend pila in the stack at an event often inspires the question: "Why is that one bent?" .. what a wonderful question to start a conversation, to engage and educate the public!

But it's OK. I do understand. Some guys pay a pretty penny for their replica pila or invest a lot of time making one. It's understandable why they don't want to toss their replicas. Some guys only have one! .. and to seriously bust it up at an event would be disheartening.

Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Look like I need to do a How To showing how to make a replica pilum with minimal tools and/or tool skills... and on your condo or apartment patio too! ...not everyone has a workspace or garage.

Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America