Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaurian regiments
Do anybody know where I can find more about them?If some research or scientific topic exist about them,or if someone of you is more informed?

They seemed to me of much interest.Isaurian highlanders although continualy being officialy part of many states and empires for many centuries,mannaged to preserve much of independence and later become valuable adition to infantry regiments of the Roman Empire.
interestingly,Prokopios(Agathius,I think,as well)often mention isaurians specifically as if they were somehow different from other regular army regiments which by that time they were part of.So were they considered as elite infantry or their specific mentioning was just mirroring of their former influence at the eastern court and of the isauran war of Anastasius I.?
I remember reading about them being made into elite units in the early Byzantine Era, but I don't remember where.
Did you have a look here? There might be some mention about Isaurian troops, or, at least, some useful reference.

http://www.academia.edu/182272/The_Roman...turies_A.D
Daniel De Palo
Hi, I did some research a few years ago, since the setting of my Late Roman novel is Isauria in 360.
I used the following articles:

Basil and the Isaurian Uprising of AD 375 by Noel Lenski
Arbazacius, Fravitta, and the Government of Isauria, AD 396-404 and finally,
Bandits in the Roman Empire by Brent Shaw.

I have copies here at home, but unfortunately have no idea where I got them!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Daniel:No,I dont know it.Thanks,there are some valuable informations,I'll certainly explor it more Smile.

Paul:Thanks for the tip.By the way I'm just working on painted rendition of your photo :wink:.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman regiments of the VIth century. Zames 46 14,797 08-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs