Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Conference 2014 - Where?
Xanten museum is really great! And some of their reproductions of Roman buildings are well worth seeing. My favorit is the tufstone city gate. (scroll down) http://www.apx.lvr.de/english/archaeolog...+gates.htm
But an outing could be planned to visit the Valkhof museum, too. I am sure something could be arranged to make that a special visit :-). So I could give Medusa a hand should that be feasable.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
As the last one was in Germany, I think that the 2014 edition should be somewhere else.
For 2015 I would like to propose the Villa Borg however, during the IRM in april.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Good idea Robert- a great combination!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
It's been several years since I've been to Xanten, but that would be tempting.

As Salisbury (Old Sarum) is twinned with Xanten, perhaps I could persuade the Twinning Society (or whatever they are called)to pay for my visit :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Robert wrote:
As the last one was in Germany, I think that the 2014 edition should be somewhere else.

Well Regensburg Castra Regina was in Raetia whilst Trier Augusta Treverorum was in Belgica! Smile
Nevertheless although in modern Germany, Trier is very close to the borders of France, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands and not too far from the UK either.

As Svenja mentioned people should only vote for a venue they can actually get to. Whoever organises the event has to do a great deal. It is not fair to an organiser of a venue or indeed to those who want to organise an event elsewhere but lose out because of people voting for another venue they have no real chance of getting to.

And yet there have already been two voters who have selected a venue but have openly admitted here that they have very little prospect of going to it! :? In which case why did they vote and should their votes be counted?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Moi,

Did you already see the new museum in Xanten? The former park and bathhouse location are now one, the road running through the old city site has been closed and partialy dismantled, the museum is built next to the bathouse and joined with it. The craftsmen's houses next to the mansio are not really going very rapidly, but I do suppose these should be finished by next year.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:As the last one was in Germany, I think that the 2014 edition should be somewhere else.
For 2015 I would like to propose the Villa Borg however, during the IRM in april.

Villa Borg could be then in connection with a visit to the museum in Luxembourg and also to have a look at the gladiator mosaic in Nennig. Most favorable place to have as a basis seems to be Luxembourg then and making trips by car to Villa Borg and Nennig.

Trier also is not on a mainline railroad but it has an infrastructure concerning hotels and pubs/restaurants which Borg and Nennig lack but would be available in Luxembourg.
Hi Robert!

Yes, I have thank you; you very kindly sent me something about it during one of many conversations about ironwork and smithing. Confusedmile:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
As this will be in Europe, and I will not, I'm not voting. But it's not too early to make plans for this, friends. Those of you who might attend, should express your preference. [sup]*[/sup]
[sup]*[/sup]Written this way because just saying "bump" seemed droll
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
We could sticky the thread...
While the board was offline we had the discussion about the location on Facebook started by Frank Wiesenberg in the Roman Army Talk group. If you are on FB please check out this discussion as well and if you haven't done so yet please vote:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RomanArmyTalk/
I voted for Vienna. It`s the one of the places suggested for a conference which is closest to me and I`ve not been there yet. BUT: with an interesting program I`d have no problem with traveling to the island or other places either Smile
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Hi! I suggest that this topic is closed, and a new vote is made. So far we have several places for which we have noone who would organize a conference there. Also, we have votes from people who will not come, which is hardly helpful.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
At the moment Bath or Colchester is the place with the most votes. So maybe someone (or a team) from UK should say if they would be willing to organize a conference. If we find noone I could check via my mom's English friend who lives close to Colchester and is active in community work if she has any ideas for lecture rooms etc. Then I would try to organize it with the help of a non RAT-member and also the long distance way.
Yes, but as I said, some votes for Bath were made by people who won´t attend. Thus the suggestion to make a new vote.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RAT conference 2014 (Trier) - which weekend jvrjenivs 23 26,898 04-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  RAT Conference 2014 - Decision on Location Medusa Gladiatrix 9 4,481 11-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Last Post: 66kbm