Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Bosporan kingdom
Can Anyone tell me how the romans used their allies the Bosporan kingdoms?
Kind regards, :lol: :-) Smile

Maurits
"Quintili Vare, legiones redde!“

Augustus when heard of Varus his defeat at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.
Well, that’s a bit of a tough question because it is so broad. How did the Romans use any of their client states? I would guess part of it was economic – there were mutual benefit derived from trade. Also, there was defence of the Empire: Rome used them as a buffer state against more unruly, more distant peoples.

In this case, I think they were a rather significant ally, because the Black Sea was so important for regional trade routes. It was so important, in fact, that Roman troops were garrisoned there. As far as I know, it was rather rare to place Roman soldiers permanently in client states, so this gives an indication of how the Romans viewed it.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
thanks, do you know if Bosporan troops fought for Rome?
"Quintili Vare, legiones redde!“

Augustus when heard of Varus his defeat at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.
I know that part of the silk road went through Tanais and Panticipaeum, along with the route through Antioch and Byzantium, so yeah they were pretty important.
Quote:do you know if Bosporan troops fought for Rome?

It's possible that Cohors I and II and Ala I Bosporanorum were raised in the Crimea. Alternatively, they could come from the european Bosphorus region.

Michael Speidel (The Development of Roman Forces in Northest Anatolia) claims that Cohors I Bosporanorum Milliaria Equitata Sagittaria was 'raised from the Crimean bosporani by Augustus'. It was later based in Galatia and Cappadocia. Ala I Bosporananorum was part of the Dacia garrison in the 2nd century.
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bosporan War under Diocletian? Nathan Ross 12 5,117 12-16-2020, 08:15 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  End of Bosporan Kingdom CaesarAugustus 0 803 02-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus