Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Century A.D. Fibulae Questions
I have a few questions on 1st Century Fibulae or Fibula and Broaches.

I would like to know of pictures or references for the styles the military wore. From Legionnaire to Officer's. Both standard and parade.

I know of the Cross Bow style and some Zoophoric ones. I am curious of any significance they may have had other then just a cloak or cape pin.

What would an Officer have worn? And does anyone have pictures or instructions as to how they were used? Fastened? Anything particular about placement etc.?

WHat were they typically made from? And finally, I have seen many on the internet as being archeological finds "For Sale" or Auction in abundance... is it legal to purchase them? And how do you know if they are authentic? There seems to be an abundance of them.

ANy information at all would be helpful for me in understanding. I have only located 2 threads on RAT.

Patrick
I have an early crossbow style, but I don't think the crossbow emerged until after the 1st century.
Here is a wiki site for Fibulae. Crossbow type is late 2nd-3rd century. Hattatt is also an excellent resource.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswi...key=Fibula
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Here's a step by step for ONE type of fibula, swiped from an old thread right here on RAT. Sorry, I don't remember who the original poster was--no disrespect intended.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Scabbard Questions Pointer 3 1,378 02-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus