Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Right Salute
If this has been discussed, could someone link me over? I'm trying to describe the heinous rebel-hunter Paulus Catena delivering his last prisoners-of-war to Constantius II in Arelate, and I know that the "Roman salute" as painted by Europeans and copied by the Nazis is wrong, but what is right?
Thanks for any help on this.
Milo
Salutes have been discussed quote a few times. Here's the most recent:

Roman Salute?

As always, the consensus is that we don't know how (or even if) the Romans saluted. Some sort of gesture to the head is possible (although not like a modern army salute, which dates to the early 19th century). The 'raised hand' was perhaps, if anything, a gesture used in oath taking, or acclaiming emperors.

However, Paulus Catena was a civilian notarius, not a soldier. His approach to Constantius would have followed the strict protocol of the day - genuflection, and 'adoration of the purple' (kneeling before the emperor and kissing the hem of his purple robe). If he needed to (symbolically) hand anything to the emperor he would cover his raised palms with a cloth - this gesture is shown on the Luxor frescoes dated as early as AD300.
Nathan Ross