Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birthday of Rome!
On 20-21 April in Rome they will celebrate the "Natalis Romae" or "Romaia" with a big parade and other events. 2000 members of 53 groups, from 11 european countries will take part:
http://www.natalidiroma.it/2013/index_NdR2013.html
I plan to go and take a lot of pics :wink:
IN∙GIRVM∙IMVS∙NOCTE∙ECCE∙ET∙CONSVMIMVR∙IGNI
Post them here Petrus! I went last year, was pretty good.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Happy Birthday Mom! Confusedmile:
I somehow find it Ironic that the birthdate of the city of Rome was around the same time in the year Jesus was born.
Thought it said Romel (as in Rommel...) :oops:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:birthdate of the city of Rome was around the same time in the year Jesus was born.
:?: :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
During the Roman Republic, several dates were given for the founding of the city between 753 BC and 728 BC. Finally, under the Roman Empire, the date suggested by Marcus Terentius Varro, 753 BC, was agreed upon, but in the Fasti Capitolini the year given was 752. Although the proposed years varied, all versions agreed that the city was founded on April 21, the day of the festival sacred to Pales, goddess of shepherds; in her honour, Rome celebrated the Par ilia (or Palilia). (The Roman a.u.c. calendar, however, begins with Varro's dating of 753 BC.) According with Plutarcus, Varro based the date on the astrologic calculations of his friend Lucius Tarutius.
@M Demetrius

I should note that I am not referring the traditional date of Christmas. Scientifically, based on whats recorded in the Bible, he was born in April-May. There was a TV show about it I caught while flipping through the channels. It's because Shepherds of the time did not tend sheep in the pasture unless the females were pregnant, because they may have to birth a sheep. This occured in April-May. Everything else refers to the year in which he was born.
yes that's probably true: it's renown that the date of 25 december is just to replace a previous pagan event with a Christian one: the feast of "Sol Invictus" and the solstice of winter was a good day, from a symbolic point of view, to celebrate the birth of Jesus. His true birth date was probably different.
Some say that, MM. I am sure that they wouldn't be "abiding in the fields" in December for lack of good pasture. April/May is a good choice. The other likely is in September, when the fall rains came, so the last grasses would be available before the winter feedlot interment. But I don't want to hijack this useful thread. Let's get back on topic.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
This is the clip of the parade of the event. Sorry for the quality: I was mainly in front of the sun in a crowded place and I was often forced to rise the camera, not knowing well what I was pointing at. Even so, I had to make a lot of cuts, after. I also had to cut a lot the definition to be able to post it on youtube.
Try to resist, (or jump) to the end, where they perform a good example of "testudo" and "mutatio". 
Obviously there are outfits pretty good and other ones absolutely not, but I decided to record them all to give the impression of the 2000 dressed people from 11 european countries, in a wonderful scenery.

below you find the link: enjoy!
http://youtu.be/XXWRqLJxOJE 
This is the clip of the parade of the event. Sorry for the quality: I was mainly in front of the sun in a crowded place and I was often forced to rise the camera, not knowing well what I was pointing at. Even so, I had to make a lot of cuts, after. I also had to cut a lot the definition to be able to post it on youtube.

Try to resist, (or jump) to the end, where they perform a good example of "testudo" and "mutatio". 
Obviously there are outfits pretty good and other ones absolutely not, but I decided to record them all to give the impression of the 2000 dressed people from 11 european countries, in a wonderful scenery.
below you find the link: enjoy!

http://youtu.be/ob4FDpIksGw
Greetings from Legio IIII Scythica from Dobrich /Bulgaria/. We participated at this event for third year:
[Image: 944833_10200335544849634_412459435_n.jpg]
[Image: 935095_560184424002877_1074924937_n.jpg]
[Image: 72838_155149434656160_1493673218_n.jpg]
Vladimir

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A contribution to the Rome\'s birthday from Barcino IGNATIUS LARRASUS PROFUTURUS 4 1,587 06-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Last Post: IGNATIUS LARRASUS PROFUTURUS
  Birthday of Rome parade on the 22th of April 2012 hadrianus batavius 19 3,751 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Last Post: hadrianus batavius
  Rome\'s Birthday Luca 0 2,283 04-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Luca