Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPads and their ilk at events
I am not alone hauling my iPad and iPhone 5 to events. I capture images and have posted them almost real time, as many of you probably do. Sitting in the field I will pull it out occasionally for visitors, and all the time after hours as we discuss topics under the trees. At my house we no longer trudge to the pc but pass the iPad around.
I just wanted to ask everyone else's experiences with them, how they use them and if it seems to change how you interact with people.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I love my iPad, ithas made my life better and happier. When I am at home it very really far from me for the reasons you mentioned and much much more.
I want a windows tablet, actually. They're more versatile but have fewer apps. Either way, I use Ipads regularly at school and find them very handy. The only problem is that you leave it out at an event it becomes an anachronism (like Gandalf's watch in the Third LOTR movie).
Well my iPad is totally invaluable, I can write anywhere now, not just at the PC desk, but on the bed, the living room on the lawn, anywhere. Upload to Dropbox... brilliant. There are a host of other things I use it for too... BUT. It never goes to shows, no technology ... no-one in our group even gets a phone out. In 6 years I haven't yet seen anyone's phone at an event :0 Its a holiday 'in the past' away from stuff like that Smile
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:I(like Gandalf's watch in the Third LOTR movie).

Which was a photoshopped fake.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Really that was fake? Didn't know that.

Anyways, I prefer a laptop over a tablet, heavier and drains battery, sure, but a laptop is much more powerful than a surface/ipad, especially when it comes to the stuff I need to do with a computer.

Fun fact, did you know that the ipad is actually ripped off the windows tablet, and the surface is not ripped off the ipad? Winders did it first.
I've only participated in events as a spectator, but the reenactors I saw had their mobile devices. None of it was visible during their demonstrations and talks 'in character,' but when they were 'off duty' they had them. They took pictures, and exchanged email addresses, and showed each other documents or whatever. I think they could be quite handy, especially for exchanging contact information and the like.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:I've only participated in events as a spectator, but the reenactors I saw had their mobile devices. None of it was visible during their demonstrations and talks 'in character,' but when they were 'off duty' they had them. They took pictures, and exchanged email addresses, and showed each other documents or whatever. I think they could be quite handy, especially for exchanging contact information and the like.

That is their intended use. My only issue is if there's some guy rambling away on facebook.
It's easy enough for the email/facebook addict to step inside a tent and get his "fix". No need to display the electronics publicly. Taking photos is a harder thing. We all want photos of the event, but we all hate taking pictures and seeing someone in kit with a camera in hand. It's a tough balance.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Really useful for a visit to an archeological site where you can download the archaeology reports and plans and compare them with whats on the ground- and you don't get paper blowing away in the wind!

And increasingly being used on digs- eg this article http://classics.uc.edu/pompeii/index.php...s2010.html
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Great plan. Instantly transmittable data/photos. Now if only they'd speed up the release of data to us, the interested public, rather than putting the info away for ten years before anybody can see it. Sigh. As always, the human factor is the weak link.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
In my mind photos are pretty simple, just make sure nobody in the picture has their device visible..... if it can shoot video, then all the better.
Quote:BUT. It never goes to shows, no technology ... no-one in our group even gets a phone out. In 6 years I haven't yet seen anyone's phone at an event :0 Its a holiday 'in the past' away from stuff like that Smile
I've just bought an Asus tablet, and I'm getting used to that now. I won't make pictures with it (nor woth my phone), I have a real camera for that.
This also goes to events, btw, or some other group member has one. i also have my phone with me, I often have to use it too, to call some dude from the organisation.. :oops:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)