Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second stipendia : Rosalias?
Hello there.

We know that Romans had a celebration with roses, the Rosalia. If we look at the Feriale Duranum, one of the ceremonies is called "ob rosalias signorum supplicatio", which means that military observe this religious tradition.

Could this ceremony coincide with a stipendia? Could they get their salary on the same day the adorn the signa with roses? Even if the ceremony is held in two separated days? It could be useful, since it's best not to pay everybody the same day (think about the logistics..).

I must say that I want to illustrate this, and I'm searching for realistic hypothesis.

What do you think?
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Quote:Could this ceremony coincide with a stipendia? Could they get their salary on the same day the adorn the signa with roses?
Other evidence suggests that Roman soldiers were paid on 1 January, 1 May, and 1 September (e.g. Fink, Roman Military Records 66, which I cannot locate online). The Rosalia does not fall on these days.

Quote:Even if the ceremony is held in two separated days? It could be useful, since it's best not to pay everybody the same day (think about the logistics..).
Marcus might not be happy if he doesn't get paid on the same day as Sextus. And they both own sharp swords. ;-) I think it's best to pay them on the same day.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:(e.g. Fink, Roman Military Records 66, which I cannot locate online).
Trismegistos is your friend.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thank you very much for the reference!

Joking: Marcus could be a veteran, and sextus a simple miles Smile Or Marcus could be a centurion. Do we know if officers had their stipendia the same day?

Do we have an idea about how stipendia would take place? Everybody in a line, waiting for payment? Was the aquilifer in charge of everybody, or does he could get help from the others signifers?

Do we have some evidence about something more religious, more "official"? An oath maybe? Or something like "thank you my emperor"?

It's hard at this point for me to get a precise image of how a stipendium was...

I'm thinking about drawing the aquilifer, with a lion skin on his helmet, with incense and looking at the eagle. He is helped by two signiferi. In a line, behind them, many vexilla. In front of them, the soldiers. In front of the miles, the tubicen, with their tuba aiming at the eagle.

It's very early in the morning, the sky is still pink.

Were is the treasure? Were is the legatus? I don't know.

No roses then.

Thanks a lot for any help Smile
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Quote:Trismegistos is your friend.
Well he is now!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
As Messers Bishop and Campbell both know I did a whole section of my thesis on the stipendium and these type of questions.

Conclusion - I give up... :grin:

It really is a very infuriating subject...... :grin: