Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crimson paludamentum for the legionary?
I would say no.

The paludamentum is an officers cloak worn by the ranks of Centurion and above. It is worn in a distinctive way, draped over the left shoulder and around and over the left arm. Crimson or scarlet red would also be unlikely for a legionary cloak colour.

Having said that it depends on how hard and fast the rule is for wearing swords on the right side for Centurions is. That is because some of the portraits from the Fayum in Egypt appear to show Centurions with paludamentum cloaks but wearing swords on their right side. Including one portrait now in the Manchester museum where the man also wears...... a red cloak!

The sagum was the most practical cloak as it also appears to have been worn in battle and by all ranks. Again ordinary soldiers are more commonly seen in yellow brown cloaks and I only know a few examples of what might be ordinary soldiers with red brown cloaks.

Craig, I have already done the research for you and there is much more on clothing colours and cloaks in general in my book 'Roman Military Dress'.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Crimson paludamentum for the legionary? - by Graham Sumner - 05-18-2013, 10:54 PM