Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One piece bronze Archaic Corinthian by Matt Lukes
This is still a work in progress.

Rather than starting with a flat sheet of bronze, he had a simple hemispherical blank made by a local fabrication shop to significantly reduce the time involved to reach this point. This process also lowered the cost. All the specific shaping is done by hand so it will look exactly the same in the end as it would if he started with a flat sheet of bronze. Essentially, a machine does the initial raising and then the rest is done by hand. The thickness and weight are realistic based upon Matt's extensive research. Below the helmet Matt is making me is the artifact we agreed to use as a guide. The new helmet will be a little different at my request.

[attachment=7168]ArchaicCorinthian01.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=7169]ArchaicCorinthian02.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=7170]ArchaicCorinthian03.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=7171]ArchaicCorinthian04.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=7172]ArchaicCorinthian05.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=7173]ArchaicCorinthianArtifact01.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7174]ArchaicCorinthianArtifact02.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joe Balmos
Really coming along, Awesome. What is the dating on the original? About 650BC?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
7th to 6th century BCE
Joe Balmos
Wow! That looks like it will turn out into a really close copy.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
We spent a lot of time discussing this project and Matt really wanted to make me something realistic within my budget. It's always a compromise with most of us isn't it, quality vs. cost, a $200 sword or a $2,000 sword, waiting two months vs. waiting two years. I think we've all been there.
Joe Balmos
That's impressive!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Coming along nicely.

[attachment=7230]eArchaicCorinthian159.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7231]eArchaicCorinthian150.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joe Balmos
Indeed, Matt has done fantastic with this.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Some excellent word indeed. I couldn't help but notice though, that on the original, there's symmetrical patterns on each side of the helmet, and you can see this on the nose guard. It's almost like hammer marks, but take a closer look!
Samuel J.
Please do keep in mind that Matt is not making a replica artifact, rather as I mentioned earlier he is using an artifact as guide to make me the helmet that I want.
Joe Balmos
the front view pic of the original helmet seems to be mirrored ?
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Yes it is. The maker wanted me to see how it would look if both sides were intact and in good shape. The artifact is just the guide for this project.
Joe Balmos
  • I've seen/read arguments that often disparage the nasal plate on the front of this (and other later helmets). One statement comes to mind, "Show me a helmet with a nasal, and I'll show you a soldier with a broken nose." Funny. I guess I could amend that to say, "Show me a helmet with a nasal, and I'll show you a soldier with a still attached broken nose.
Lest anyone misunderstand: there is a reason that Greek and neighboring nations used nasals, there is the same reason that many Saxon/Germanic, etc helmets for the 1000+ years following the Greeks used them. If I were in the world where people were looking for some exposed part of me to slice off, I'd want one, too, no doubt about it.

This helmet is astonishing in its shaping and workmanship. Exceptional armoring work. The finished product will be a real treasure!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
For those in the Philadelphia PA region, I plan to use this helmet as well as all my other reproductions in free educational presentations focusing on the material culture of Ancient Greece and pre-Imperial Rome. Although helmets and swords are among the most popular objects I provide for the students to handle, and yes I allow them to paw all over the objects in order to gain an intimate appreciation of them, I also have many non-military related objects so that kids can understand that the ancient world was as much about strigils and spindles as helmets and spear heads.

I do have some artifacts with established provenances, but I don't want to encourage the collecting of ancient objects through illegal means, so I prefer to use quality replicas and encourage everyone to visit the nearby Univ. of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (where I give tours in the Greek gallery) to view authentic ancient artifacts, but of course you can't touch them. The Met in NY City and the Walters in Baltimore are also close by and have excellent collections. What makes the Penn museum unique is that it is a cutting edge Archaeology Museum with long-term digs ongoing around the world, and has an Ivy League University caliber archaeology and ancient history program across the street. It's quite easy to strike up a conversation with some of the worlds leading classical archaeologists at the Penn Museum. They are the ones with dirt still under their finger nails.
Joe Balmos
It looks great so far, and raising from a spun dome must have been a great time-saver. Do you plan to have it lined, Joe?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Piece Corinthian Helmet by Matt Lukes Creon01 6 4,204 04-09-2015, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Creon01