Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Size for a Paludamentum Brooch.
Very nice pieces Brian. Was your trumpet fibula based on a find?
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
That is correct Jay but was found by my son in law and he upset me for in the hole where he found it there was also another that was a headstud type, the pin I made for it does indeed function and after completing the spring part I had to hammer harden the rest of the pin to make it work. The overall length of the brooch is 60mm by 20mm at its curve.
The pin of the original was still there and was also made of orichalum so I do begin to wonder if indeed this was the way that the Roman craftsman had to harden the pin, for when making these the wire has to be wound as a spring which needs to have a certain amount of flexability, then of course the pin takes constant pressure back and forth to function.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Ave,y'all,
Hey Brian and Jay! Antonia wanted me to let you know that I mispoke earlier when I said a cameo........ I should have said a "Gemma" made of Onyx. It will be an original design of a Roman Anchor overlaid by a trident complete with spiked butt cap. It is to be a tribute to my "Classis"
service to the Empire...................OOPs I mean U.S. Navy. Once she can get it done, I will see if I can get a photo on The Board. I designed and used the Anchor and Trident long ago before I had ever heard of reeactment etc. My ceremonial shield is going to be even glitzier for as my "mentor" "Obi-Wan Amt" is so found of saying, and I paraphrase, "Ancient people liked lots of colour." and the shield will have that. Will keep you all informed as things get done. By thde way, based on some photos ;that I found in some nreew books, The Broaches appear to be approx. 2.5" to 3" dia. Gotta run,
Salve,
Vitruvius........aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Larry.
It sounds like this brooch you are going to have might well be put onto a plate similar to that Umbernate I have shown with a pre made hinge pin and catchplate to take the pin.
If the hinge for the pin and the catchplate are made high enough it will help give plenty of room for the folds of the material.
Brian Stobbs
Something like this trident and anchor, minus the pistol, of course?
[attachment=7370]US_Navy_SEALs_insignia.png[/attachment]

M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ave, y'all
Brian, Antonia said thanks for the infor and that she plans to make as many of the parts as possible. David, I repect the S.E.A.L.s too much to even consider "borrowing" any part of their emblem. If you PM me your address, I'll send you a sketch of what we have in mind. For the record,
the basic design is a roman anchor in the vertical position with a trident in front of it with the triple tines on top. When She gets it finished, I'll send a photo. For now..............
Salve,
Vitruvius and Antonia..................aka Larry and Jaqui Mager
Larry A. Mager
Larry.
Here is a one that has a maritime theme and is indeed Roman as it is the centre image that comes from the famous Mildenhall dish in the BM, and the dolphins coming out of the hair look very sea going.

Brian Stobbs
Ave'Phil et all!
Phil, You found a Dynamite design......one that I like better than my own designs.......LOL,LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Antonia loves it too. You have made our day, my friend!!!!!!! This one I REALLY want as a Gemma Broach!!!!!!!
Thank You Again!!!!!!!!!!
Salve,
Vitruvius........................aka Larry Mager,
Larry A. Mager