Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini-epic \'The wooden sword\' now available
Over the last two years we've been working on 'The wooden sword', a 18 minutes mini-epic for eductional use, which shows a Batavian boy being arrested and sold to a lanista to end his days as a gladiator. The DVD is now available and contains both dutch and english audio. It can be bought at the phalera shop.

http://www.phalera.com/en/shop/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VJdxIexjE
ALA I BATAVORUM
Will the DVD be produced in US format for those of us far across the Great Water?

Very enticing trailer. Count my vote for "yes, I'm in."
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Lindsay Powell commented the DVD is Compatible with Region 2 DVD players. Hope that answers your quesion.
ALA I BATAVORUM
It works in the US. I played it without issue on my computer (regionless). I will give it a spin on my DVD player to see if it works with my TV system.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Great to hear. There are different formats, and some DVDs don't translate cleanly from one to the other.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A word of Caution:

I received a DVD copy because I backed the film via CineCrowd (a crowd funding group much like Kickstater or IndieGoGo).

The DVD plays perfectly on my Apple iMac and it looks great.

However ...

The program is recorded in the PAL Standard and is Region protected, so it would not play on any of the 3 Sony DVD players I have and although the Sony Blu-ray and PS3 had no problem with the Region restrictions they were unable to play back the PAL TV Standard.

So if you are ordering this film keep these points in mind. (If all els fails use your computer for playback.)

Otherwise, this is an excellent film and well worth making the effort to see.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I can confirm: it is PAL format, not NTSC. No joy with my DVD player. However, if your computer can talk to your big flatscreen TV, woohoo!
Cheryl Boeckmann
I'm just told that Marc Sanders (one of the producers) is looking into regionfree DVDs for a next batch.
ALA I BATAVORUM
If it will play on a computer, is there a way to output it to a DVD in US format? Or is it copy protected?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I think you need a PAL DVD and a separate NTSC (region 1, also) DVD. Some DVD players can "see" both systems, but most US players do not.

It's a legacy thing from the old analog days - 60 Hz (USA) x 2 sets of scan lines on your US TV screen versus 50 Hz (Europe) x 2 sets of scan lines on your European TV. Computer folk went "universal" pretty early on.
Cheryl Boeckmann
On a recent FaceBook positing the film's director mentioned that it is possible for him to burn NTSC DVD's from the master source and is considering doing so, particularly if he receives enough orders for them.

So, if you need/want a DVD in NTSC so it will play on standard DVD players here in North America and much of Asia, then let Phalera Film Works know.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mini epic \'The wooden sword\' jvrjenivs 6 2,523 09-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Last Post: XorX