Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exeters Roman Bath House
Hi all,
See hear....
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Pl...story.html
Well, after 40 years, at least they are considering it.
Kevin
Kevin
Wonder what Mr Bidwell will have to say?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Or will he have a say in it? After all, it was his "baby". Never got round to purchasing the excavation report......bad me.
Kevin.
Kevin
I assume both he and Neil Holbroke will be in on it in some capacity or other as Exeter Uni lost their Archaeological Unit.

Neil runs Oxford Archaeology now (CE), but I think Paul retired this year from T&W Museums. Still, it gives him more time on his hands.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
My mate Oli reckons that maybe portions will be excavated then covered in heavy duty Perspex......in my opinion that defeats the object. Display it all or leave it be. The area is vast.
Best book I ever purchased was by Mr Holbrook and Mr Bidwell..
Sorry to hear Mr Bidwell has retired, maybe this will renew his interest. As for Mr Holbrook......my honest opinion is he knows his stuff and is great. Period. Full stop. It would be really good to have him on board. He has been there and knows the relevant info.
Best see what Exeter City council do, its their first move.
Kevin
Kevin
Seems like the Church is making the first move....good on the Dean of Exeter.
Exciting stuff on the edge of the Empire.
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Hi...story.html

[attachment=9236]004.JPG[/attachment]

Picture from the actual article in the newspaper showing the remains being filled in/covered over.....a sort of then and now.
Kevin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin
Quote:Exciting stuff on the edge of the Empire.
Great news about the baths, but Exeter wasn't exactly The Edge of Empire (Restormel, anyone? ;-))

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
OK....thanks for reminding me about Cornwall Mike. Not quite the edge of Empire as at least 4 first cent forts are known....
Let alone the 3 known forts and possible marching camp west of Exeter............Still I would like to call it the edge of the Empire as very little happened beyond it in relation to other areas .Tin /Silver etc. happened all the time........but....the best and earliest remains of the best legionary Bathhouse ever, I am biased to "II AVG", built this .maybe even before fish Bourne Palace was built? II AVG knew how to build as well as to fight. Or....did the auxiliaries do all the fighting whilst the Legionaries built?
Never mind History for a moment.....lets get the Roman Baths Displayed for all.
Kevin
Kevin
Good news. I am sure teh CofE could do with the revenue too!
Moi Watson

Quote:Never mind History for a moment.....lets get the Roman Baths Displayed for all.
But let's not forget Castleford fort baths which are in the same unfortunate situation.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Then of course there is Binchester and for a real edge of Empire military frontier bathhouse there is Chesters Fort on Hadrian's Wall, but then this place has maybe three such buildings Well at least two of them that I have been in !!
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bath House, Waddon Hill 66kbm 2 1,523 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Massive hoard of Roman coins found in Bath, UK ParthianBow 17 3,123 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius