Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enamel......Question
Would enamel used on helmets as rosette centers be opaque or would it be transparent like a regular piece of glass.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Most historical enamels were opaque but some were transparent. A neat Anglo-Saxon technique was to use transparent red enamel over a textured gold surface that sparkles in the light. It looks beautiful. A lot of modern enamels aren't enamel at all but specially-designed polymer substitutes like Ceramit and Colorite. We are going to use Ceramit on my reconstruction of Agamemnon's cuirass.
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28063

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Where the Romans did use enamel they also did inlays with a paste type material such as the inlays of this umbernate brooch.

Brian Stobbs
Where the Romans did use enamels they also used many types of paste inlays such as this umbernate brooch.
In fact with this apron strap from a belt they have used both situations where the yellow is indeed enamel and is opaque however the red inlay is a paste one.
[attachment=8374]easyshare143Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
I have often wondered this as well. This is the Celtic Battersea Shield which is an excellent example of enameled bronze. It was dated rather ambiguously (350 bc - 50 bc) and is of Insular Celtic origin so I don't know if it would apply to what you are looking for. But it appears to be opaque.

"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
Hello,

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.

Dan, that is an interesting idea for making transparent enamel so that the gold beneath is visible. Its almost the same as in oil painting where a darker glaze is used over a lighter color to give an optical color combination that can look like a glow.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo