Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread
Hi everyone, today is the last day working on the sword as it is now just finishing up with the stage of assembly. I have only a question for you experts, as to how the pieces are fastened to the scabbard. I know that with this particular locket, nails went through the front cross hangers, but not the backs at all? Also the chape.... Does a small nail get inserted anywhere hidden to help it not slide off? It stays on pretty snug, but if I were a soldier and it fell off and got damaged because the maker was too lazy not to put a nail in, I'd be pretty mad. Anyway enjoy the pictures and thank you all very much for your help. I'm sure there'll be a very happy sword owner soon!

Please note that the customer requested the brass to be lacquered so that's what the pictures are of as well.

Regards!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.
Enjoy the pictures of the back, because we all know how rare and special of an occasion it i when we get to see the back!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.
Does nobody know how to secure the chape?
Samuel J.
I honestly don't know. Robert Wimmers could probably tell you.
Hi Fidelis you have done the chape as has been found, the back strap were you have the copper rivets, take them off and nail through the strap and guttering to the scabbard I have a pic of this from a origonal but else were at the moment,
Regards Brennivs :-}
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thanks Tony! Is that how all chapes were attached? Or were some possibly glued on or held on with a small nail at the bottom in the back? A very tricky area which many must have asked the same questions..
Samuel J.
Fidelis I would say it is one of a few ways it could be attached. Glueing would work as the small nails would hold it in place until the glue drys. I myself have not glued the chape on, but as I am not wearing my sword every day I would say that the chape being knocked around probably work its way loose through time :x Also I forgot to mention on the back were the guttering meets the terminal, the drawing shows a triangle of bronze crudely soldered on again this will help strengthen the chape, it has no sign that a nail went through this Smile
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum brennivs - tony drake 24 4,255 05-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake