Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread
Thank you Jim. I am going to check out what my hardwood supply depot has sometime and will look for any of those you mentioned. I like the oak too, and although the hilt hasn't been fastened together, I am unsure of durability. Also I am finding that oak gets dirty fairly easily with sweaty hands. :unsure:

So my next steps are ordering leather, and working out the brass accents. Today I have made good attempts at making steel female dies, and the idea is to place an annealed brass rod inside, and hammer it flat, punching in the design on the other side.

I do have the following questions:

- Does the pompeii chape and locket have "gutters" for the frames, or does the chape wrap around the scabbard as does the locket? It is rather hard to tell when people only show pictures of the fronts of their swords! WHAT'S TO HIDE?! :lol:

-What does a pompeii style hilt "washer" look like? This is the part the you peen the tang over with. Is it simple and cylindrical? Any pictures of originals?

-I am having trouble developing my tinning skills. Any tips, threads, or ideas on how to tin? I could order the tinning solution online. Or as what I have tried today was by 1. heating my brass sample 2. fluxing it 3. heating lead-free "silver bearing" solder on top 4. and trying to spread it out, having used a wet cloth and when that didn't work, found smoother results with a DRY one!!!

-The hilt is not yet tightened up and fastened together, but the grip seems to move a tiny bit. Will this be a problem when it is all fastened together? I am always afraid/cautious to apply too much pressure to the hilt in case the wood splits in the weaker areas.

-The customer would like me to use a makers mark on the sword. I was thinking of punching in using dots, Titus Marius Secundus. This is the name I use and was wondering if there was any specific way used to write that. For example, today we may write Titus M. Secundus.

Regards, and many thanks,

Samuel.
Samuel J.

Messages In This Thread
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Patrick - 11-15-2013, 03:30 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Patrick - 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Fidelis Sam - 11-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by NateBick - 11-20-2013, 03:01 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Robert - 11-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Robert - 11-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Crispvs - 11-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by David - 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Patrick - 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Patrick - 12-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Patrick - 02-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Jay - 02-06-2014, 03:09 AM
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread - by Patrick - 02-06-2014, 04:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum brennivs - tony drake 24 4,437 05-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake