Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread
Thanks Dave, Patrick, David, and Jim.

@ Patrick, I used boiled linseed oil. I will not use any modern varnishes etc. I also live near Tampa in which there is supposedly a Tandy leather craft store... I need to check that out though its a bit of a drive. Until then after tonight I will work on the brass fittings in my time.

Sorry this simple task took so long but I went on a trip to Wisconsin for thanksgiving.

@ David, are you planning to make your own? By cheap blades you mean? Show us pictures please! I'm sure they're not Indian made crappy!!

Here is tonight's five minutes work haha. It was pretty nerve wracking in the beginning but it got easier. Anyway that's my maker's mark. Thank you Robert!!!

Sorry if the picture does not come out too good.

Samuel.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.
Sam…
You can go to Tandy online… They actually have a special going on Veg tan leather over this week. 3oz. -5oz. Veg tanned leather each piece is between 14-20 Sq. foot. Tandyleatheroutlet.com

--Patrick
Hey Patrick, thanks for letting me know! Sounds like a lot of leather! :lol:
Samuel J.
Hi, I know it has been a while so I have got some pictures that have been just waiting to be uploaded on RAT. Unfortunately my laptop just bit the dust and with things being tight, and an arising conflict with Windows 8, I just haven't been able to get the time or resources. All being said I would be happy to answer any questions!

Please note that it really isn't easy to get a hold of 100% linen thread, which I have used for this project because I want this sword to be of 100% authentic materials. That has contributed to the delay.

My apologies about not having any "in-shop" photos. I tended to work so fast when I got an hour or two that I just got really...into it!

Enjoy!
Samuel J.

Samuel J.
Niiiiiiiiicccccccccceeeeeee!
Thanks. I have found myself not wanting to sell it. Oh well. I hope to do this more because I enjoy it so much. I will get around to making one for myself. It's a matter or time and resources. Now if you look in this thread, you will see how I made my cross hangers.

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...l?start=90

It's a rather long thread, and I really learner a lot and have come a long way since then. I can't believe that was nearly THREE years ago. Well, I do suppose the clock ticks the same for all of us.

Regards, Samuel.
Samuel J.
Hey, some more progress tonight. Hope to get a lot done tomorrow.

Samuel J.
Here is the making of the rings that go on the cross hangers. Made from 3/4" diameter brass rod, turned actually on my wood lathe ( is ok for small metal tasks ) in the pictures you will see the tools I have used throughout, though not all such as my dremel attachments. I need to finish the other three rings. Quite time consuming as I haven't a drill bit large enough to drill out the perfect hole. Any questions I'm happy to answer.

The gentleman I am making this gladius for may just be receiving it very soon!

Samuel J.
Great work Sam.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Cool! Love the Rings!
Wonderful work Sam......well done mate.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Really coming along nicely Sam. I could really use a lathe. Have you tried a 3/4 brass tube instead of rod or would the walls be too thin? They're usually about 1/16 thick commonly.

Question for you, what thickness brass do you use for the guttering and what thickness for the embossed plates?

Jim
Thank you for all your nice comments.

I considered some thick brass plumbing fittings, but for cheaper i got 1000% more brass for what i paid by using rod. The tubing is far too thin that i have access to other than the plumbing brass tube connector. Plus it is easier to design.something i can turn on the lathe.

I believe i used 30 thou brass strips. 1/2 " inch wide for the cross hangers. For the plates i used 10 thou.
Samuel J.
Thanks Sam. I need to buy some sheet and strips.

I use a lot of brass fittings (air, welding and electrical) because I get them free from where I work. I save old fittings, pins from electrical plugs and machine parts or anything I can get my hands on. And I have one guy who keeps an eye out for any scrap bits so I think I have more brass scrap than I can use.. I am such a cheapskate lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum brennivs - tony drake 24 4,370 05-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake