Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Crate
Ave!<br>
<br>
I'm interested in making a wooden crate to keep all my armoring tools and materials in- nothing big- but I'd like it to be 'Romanesque'- can anyone point me in the direction of some actual artifact images that I can use as a starting point? I'm curious what sort of joinery there might have been, the hinge types, securing mechanism (latch, lock, etc.).<br>
<br>
Also, since my Latin is pretty-much nonexistant, can anyone offer suggestions as to what the name of such a crate would be? I'd like to engrave a word on the outside to indicate the contents and their purpose- metalworking tools, armoring tools, etc.<br>
<br>
Gratia!<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Why not try Peter Connolly's reconstruction drawing of the Corbridge Hoard in its box? Line version in Bishop & Coulston 1993:35 or on-line at:<br>
rubens.anu.edu.au/student...e/SE6.html<br>
<br>
I have seen a colour version but can't recall where.<br>
<br>
The Latin for a strong-box would be "armarium", which would be appropriate if it actually held weapons.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Shaun, that diagram is perfect. A simple butt-joint box with multi-riveted metal edging.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!